This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

WMI Host Provider high CPU when running Garmin Express

This was also reported in the thread about GE using 20% CPU, but I thought the WMI-specific issue should be highlighted in its own thread. The problem was also reported in the Forerunner 945 forum. I had been trying to figure this out for a while until I saw that post. Sure enough, quitting out of GE made the high WMI CPU usage stop.

GE 6.19.3.0

Top Replies

All Replies

• The CPU is high, whether or not a device is connected.  Aside from that, the new 7.0 doesn't fix it, and introduces more bugs. If there are items ready to be installed/synced, clicking "View Details" or "View Maps" should show the list of available updates, but doesn't work,  so no way to know what's going to be installed!

• Clicking "View Details" or "View Maps" did work for me earlier today - as I updated maps on my Oregon 750t?

• Clicking "View Maps" for the my F6 Pro worked, but only when the device was plugged in. If not plugged in, and Home screen showed updates available, neither link worked.

• Has Garmin acknowledged this issue? T he program cripples my computer and is unusable.

• Yes they have but have been unable to do anything about it in months. The workaround is to turn it off and only turn it on when needed.

• It's not universal, so best to contact Garmin Product Support so they are more aware of the issue some are having.

• Issue remains in v7.0.1.0 despite Garmin having been told about it - as evidenced above. And below.

• Yes, Confirm Issue remains in v7.0.1.0  - Hope you'll fix the issue - always starting Garmin Express before using it doesn't make fun. Cheers

• How to resolve WMI Host Provider high CPU when running Garmin Express in Windows 10

This problem has not been fixed in the current version 7.0.1.0 (installed today 14 June 2020) of Garmin Express, although I reported it officially to Garmin in the past.

In order to fix the problem on your Windows computer, you need to go to General Settings in Garmin Express and unselect  "Always keep Garmin Express running in the background"

Although the problem is caused by Garmin Express, the CPU usage of the Garmin Express app is actually very low.

Open the Garmin Express app, and click on the gear next to the "?" at the top. Unselect "Always keep Garmin Express running in the background" , click on OK, and close the app. When you open the app again or restart the computer, the problem is fixed and WMI Provider host will be at 0%. Problem solved.

Every time there is a new version of Garmin Express, you need to unselect "Allways keep Garmin running in the background", else you will have the high CPU usage again, as well as the High WMI Host provider.

I am asking Garmin to please fix this problem, or to disable "Allways keep Garmin running in the background", until a fix is found for this bug.

It's very difficult for the end user to find the reason why your Windows 10 computer has the high CPU usage. The computer also uses a lot more power with the high CPU usage, and it's especially a problem with portable devices.

• When you need to use Garmin Express to update software on a Garmin Device, you can just open the app and use the software. Just close the app after you have used it, and make sure the "Allways keep Garmin running in the background" is always turned off. When you close the app, the CPU usage will go back to 0%. Garmin needs to fix this bug or disable "Garmin always running in background".