This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

WMI Host Provider high CPU when running Garmin Express

This was also reported in the thread about GE using 20% CPU, but I thought the WMI-specific issue should be highlighted in its own thread. The problem was also reported in the Forerunner 945 forum. I had been trying to figure this out for a while until I saw that post. Sure enough, quitting out of GE made the high WMI CPU usage stop.

GE 6.19.3.0

Top Replies

All Replies

• WmiPrvSE.exe aka WMI Provider Host using a lot of CPU when Garmin Express is running (6.19.4.0), running on Win10 1909 x64.

• I've lately been noticing WmiPrvSE.exe using a lot of CPU but hadn't linked it to Express which I have had running for years. So I closed Express (6.19.2.0) and sure enough WmiPrvSE.exe consumed no noticeable cpu cycles. 

When I turned it back on, WmiPrvSE.exe returned bigtime.

I then upgraded to 6.19.4.0 and so far there is no change. WmiPrvSE.exe consumes 7 to 35% CPU with no letup. This needs to be reported to Garmin support

• I emailed support. I suggest you do the same. They need to know it's not just one person with the problem.

• Received this response:

Yes in the settings of the program there is a gear icon you can click to uncheck the always keep Express running in the background. This should keep from using resources in the background on the CPU. We did have a couple reports on a case for this high CPU usage. I went ahead and added to this so if there is anything they discover they can contact you directly.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,

Jonathan

Product Support

Garmin International

• Ok thank you for the info. I hope they read the forums there is a few threads about this problem. I think most people won't notice the issue so the problem is probably wide spread but people just don't notice or can't connect the problem to Garmin express...

Probably a very easy fix, just add a thread.sleep(100) in some detect device loop...

• I just spent several hours backtracking uninstalling Windows updates and searching logs trying to fix the WMI Provider Host cpu usage problem. Finally started disabling anything that auto starts and when I killed Express WMI usage essentially vanished. 20% cpu to nothing instantly. Another fine piece of software from Garmin.

• Add me to the list. After several hours I finally figured out that closing Garmin Express stopped the 20% cpu usage from Windows WMI Provider Host. Seems like a quick fix for a competent software engineering team. Considering this gem is used across almost all of the outdoor product lines.

• Doesn't do that on my Win10 system with Express running in the background

• This was the response from Garmin support yesterday morning: For me, it started with the upgrade to 6.19.2.0. That update to Express included an update to VB.

Hello Philip,

Yes in the settings of the program there is a gear icon you can click to uncheck the always keep Express running in the background. This should keep from using resources in the background on the CPU. We did have a couple reports on a case for this high CPU usage. I went ahead and added to this so if there is anything they discover they can contact you directly.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,
    Jonathan
    Product Support
    Garmin International

• That does not help for me. The box is already unticked and still CPU running at>25%