This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Windows 10, 6.19.3.0: Garmin Express could not be installed on this computer

Former Member
Former Member

I tried to update to the new version, 6.19.3.0 and I got the error message 'Garmin Express could not be installed on this computer'. I uninstalled the old version, tried installing the new version off the web, same error. I tried restarting. I tried everything else on https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=iG5lWLNQ4W2I6jvUu5cBh5 . I have run it as administrator. I uninstalled Garmin Webupdater. I have tried maybe 20 times.

The only thing I find interesting is that, after clicking Yes on the UAC prompt, it says 'Initializing' for ~25s, then says 'Installing vc_redist.x86.exe' for half a second. I wonder if it's invoking vc_redist.x86.exe wrong or misinterpreting a response. There are no logs anywhere, which is super frustrating.

• The solution is:

1) Download the latest Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable x86 using https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x86.exe

2) Uninstall the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable x86 on Windows 10 from Apps and Features ( or Programs and Features if you like )

3) Run the upgrade or the new install of Garmin Express

4) Reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable x86 by executing the file you downloaded in 1).

Garmin should either fix their installer to use the latest Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable x86 redistributable, or do not fail the installation process simply because Windows 10 rightfully does not allow the Garmin Express installer to install an outdated VC++ redistributable.

• Definitely a problem Garmin needs to fix, I followed their recommendations and of course ended up with Garmin express no longer installed at all.  4128702 named the possible solution.  Not sure if they tried to fix this with 6.19.4.0 but it has the same problem.

• LOL! Your solution worked...but I gotta ask: how in the world did you figure this out?!? I'm not a professional programmer but I've been writing software (mostly in C#) for decades and I don't have a clue as to how you'd uncover this kind of problem.

Have a virtual beverage-of-your-choice on me!

• This is not the first programming/web design related problem I've encountered with Garmin. But it is undoubtedly one of the most egregious because no software development team would have allowed release of software with a bug like this.

It's called "testing", folks, and you do it by giving what you think is the finished product to a group of people unassociated with the development effort and seeing what happens.

Personally, if I ran the Garmin development group somebody or bodies would lose their jobs over this.

• While I agree that this error is particularly nasty and might have been caught by QA, "retaliation" is NOT a good error culture to establish in a team. Rather than just spreading fear and firing someone, if an error happens, it would be best to learn from failure and improve to avoid the same in the future.

It's probably best that you're not responsible of other people...

• Thanks, this process worked.

• Actually, I am and have been for years...which goes to show the problems in speculating without all the facts.

You raise a valid point about teams. But maintaining the smooth running of a team at a high level involves both coaching and accountability. You can't have high performance without both. And maintaining accountability sometimes involves saying "sorry, we no longer want or need you on the team". 

I should also clarify something I neglected to include in my earlier comment: the person or persons I'd dismiss are at the management level. Because all problems are management problems.

In this particular instance I'd love to hear what, if any, testing Garmin did with the update. Based on my prior experience involving other software problems with their products I suspect it'll be something like "those guys over at [fill in the name of some other company] caused it!" Which misses the point: when you sell a product that requires an ecosystem to function properly you are responsible for ensuring your product works within that system...especially in the face of changes caused by "other organizations".

• I have the same issue and I think this is a result of me recently installing MS Visual Studio which would tie in with your explanation

• It is the fault of Garmin installer not handling correctly the failure of vc_redistx86.exe installation.

VC Redist fails with: Error 0x80070666: Cannot install a product when a newer version is installed.

Garmin Express installer should gracefully ignore it and continue, instead it fails.

The workaround described above to uninstall just "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x86)" works.

Garmin Express installer will install an older version of this package.