This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Windows 10, 6.19.3.0: Garmin Express could not be installed on this computer

Former Member
Former Member

I tried to update to the new version, 6.19.3.0 and I got the error message 'Garmin Express could not be installed on this computer'. I uninstalled the old version, tried installing the new version off the web, same error. I tried restarting. I tried everything else on https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=iG5lWLNQ4W2I6jvUu5cBh5 . I have run it as administrator. I uninstalled Garmin Webupdater. I have tried maybe 20 times.

The only thing I find interesting is that, after clicking Yes on the UAC prompt, it says 'Initializing' for ~25s, then says 'Installing vc_redist.x86.exe' for half a second. I wonder if it's invoking vc_redist.x86.exe wrong or misinterpreting a response. There are no logs anywhere, which is super frustrating.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

So I managed to save the temporary copy of vc_redist.x86.exe that GarminExpress is trying to install (C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\AA56B7FE64E957FBA2A6BDC65ABBAA47438EC620\vc_redist.x86.exe). It's 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x86) - 14.23.27820'. If I attempt to install it, it immediately gives me:

Setup Failed

One or more issues caused the setup to fail. Please fix the issues and then retry setup. For more information see the log file.

0x80070666 - Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.

I actually have 14.24.28127 installed, which Chocolaty just updated before I tried installing this. I think the key here is that the bundled vc_redist is outdated.

Now there is a semi-obvious workaround here, but this is 100% a bug that needs to be fixed in the installer. It shouldn't fail if it bundled an old vc_redist installer. So please don't mark this as answered unless Garmin actually says they fixed their installer.

• My win10 on 2 PCs updated without issue 

• Please read this, maybe it will help. But Garmin moderator can close your thread by the same reason as above when new version will be released...

I have the similar error. PC reboot usually helps me.

• same issue and no solution, express cannot be installed, i tried even older version but result is very same - no success, new Dell PC with W10

• Have you tried installing as administrator?  Download the exe file, then right click and select Run as administrator

• yes, I did it, with no success

• Then something is going wrong on your system that isn't with mine, as Express installs perfectly on my Win 10 PCs.  I suggest you try calling Garmin support for detailed help.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

ITT people ignoring problems.

SUSSAMB and Digeridoo, just because it worked for you doesn't mean it's fine. Obviously you have an outdated version of the Visual C++ Runtime installed. This has been explained.

Also, I can't honestly believe some of these troubleshooting steps I'm seeing ever work for anyone.

This looks like a bug that Garmin doesn't care about investigating or fixing, since apparently this isn't the first time it's happened.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Jakub.Sklenar

Are you ready for the dumb workaround? Uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x86) from Add/Remove Programs. Repeat the installer. Presto, it works and you have an older version of the VC runtime!

• Thanks I will try it!  Wow, using an out of date C++ on a current build...Bad...but it worked.  Now I will have to update the redist to make Visual studio 19 work...Bummer.