This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express wont recognise Itunes

I am trying to use garmin express with my Fenix 5 Plus and iTunes to transfer music to my watch. I have been through the instruction in express to allow the iTunes xml file to have access to other applications etc and then when I hit next it just keeps saying redo the instructions again.

Getting very frustrating.

Any help please ?

Cheers
  • Thanks for this tip. I gave it a try, but I ran into some problems. Using your code, I replaced \username and \Your_Custom_iTunes_Folder with the correct values for my system. The end of your string shows ".xm" instead of ".xml". I thought that might be a typo, so I added the "l" at the end.

With command prompt open as administrator, I tried to run the command, but Windows returned this error:

The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive.

Sounds like I will wait a little before I try this one then until EDIKA99 replies
  • That's strange because I use Drive F: to link to Drive C: and everythings works correctly. Are the two drive on the same filesystem (NTFS) ? Which OS are you using?

Yes, both of my drives are NTFS. I'm running Windows 10.

This page from Microsoft (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-and-junctions) also seems to indicate that hard links across two different disks will not work.
  • I just checked my iTunes Media Library.xml file for comparison. Mine also has a blank icon. Just like your files, my .itl file has an iTunes icon, and my .xml file has a blank icon. My copied/renamed .xml file is working, so I hope you have some success with it, too.

I got it to work at one stage. Then I added songs or created a playlist up the. Garmin express version didn’t show the updates.

i tried copying and pasting the XML file and renaming again into the c drive iTunes folder. This didn’t work.
    i tried closing down and opening again.
    i could not get things to work and show the new playlists etc etc.

any suggestions to show the updated playlists ?
  • I got it to work at one stage. Then I added songs or created a playlist up the. Garmin express version didn’t show the updates.

i tried copying and pasting the XML file and renaming again into the c drive iTunes folder. This didn’t work.
    i tried closing down and opening again.
    i could not get things to work and show the new playlists etc etc.

any suggestions to show the updated playlists ?

When I was testing the posted suggestions for creating a hard link, I ran into some problems where copy/rename/move process stopped working for me as well. I'll post the steps that I had to use to get it working again.

This might be worth a try:

Close Garmin Express.
    Launch iTunes.
    In iTunes, go to Edit - Preferences - Advanced Tab.
    Un-check the box that says Share iTunes Library XML with other applications. Click OK, and close Preferences. (On my computer this removed the XML file from my D: drive.)
    Then check the box that says Share iTunes Library XML with other applications. Click OK, and close Preferences. (On my computer, this recreated the XML file from my D: drive.)
    Then try the copy/rename/move process again.

That's what I had to do. Hopefully you'll have some success with this as well.
  • Thanks man,

Will try that again.

This is really poor form from Garmin that the program cannot function as it should. So frustrating
  • Finding the Garmin software in general is pretty poor. regret going for Garmin over the Apple Watch due to issues like this.
  • A refinement here. My Windows official user folder is on drive E: with a Music sub-directory and Garmin Express found the file when I named it as above but moved the copied iTunes directory/xml file under my official user directory on E:

• I thank you from the bottom of my heart for this  Slight smile.  It worked.

• ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is the solution ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Open iTunes on your computer, In the Edit Tab, Select Preferences.... then do what this person says above. 

• This solved it for me!