This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express wont recognise Itunes

I am trying to use garmin express with my Fenix 5 Plus and iTunes to transfer music to my watch. I have been through the instruction in express to allow the iTunes xml file to have access to other applications etc and then when I hit next it just keeps saying redo the instructions again.

Getting very frustrating.

Any help please ?

Cheers
  • Yes I am sure I tried this but will give it another go.

The xml file I have does not have the iTunes icon, it is just a blank icon unlike the itl file which has iTunes icon. This indicates that iTunes does not use this file type I am assuming ?

I will copy this file into the base C drive iTunes file and rename to iTunes media library xml file.

I am not holding my breath however.

Surely express is in need of an update to accommodate the programs it says it interacts with (iTunes) and their current operating structure. It seems Garmin have dropped the ball on a big selling feature of the fenix plus watches and one of the main reasons I purchased the watch also.

• The xml file I have does not have the iTunes icon, it is just a blank icon unlike the itl file which has iTunes icon. This indicates that iTunes does not use this file type I am assuming ?

I just checked my iTunes Music Library.xml file for comparison. Mine also has a blank icon. Just like your files, my .itl file has an iTunes icon, and my .xml file has a blank icon. My copied/renamed .xml file is working, so I hope you have some success with it, too.

• I think I've found the solution. Go to preferences. In Advanced tab, check 'Share iTunes Library XML with other applications', iTunes will generate 'iTunes Music Library' file automatically. And Garmin Express recognizes it.
  • I think I've found the solution. Go to preferences. In Advanced tab, check 'Share iTunes Library XML with other applications', iTunes will generate 'iTunes Music Library' file automatically. And Garmin Express recognizes it.

I have also ensured that that particular check box is checked yet still don't get any interaction with iTunes and express unfortunately.
  • I have also ensured that that particular check box is checked yet still don't get any interaction with iTunes and express unfortunately.

If you haven't already opened a ticket with Garmin, I would suggest doing that and referencing this thread. From reading the replies, it sounds like the approach described above worked for at least one other person. If Garmin starts hearing from other people whose iTunes libraries are on a drive other than C:, perhaps that will let them know that Garmin Express needs more flexible options.

Sorry I can't be more help. I was relived when the file copy/rename/move method finally worked for me.
  • I have done that also.

I have managed to get it to show up after doing the copy relocate re name again so that's a start, however, it should be able to a) interact with the correct iTunes operation file (.itl) so an update is required for that in the first instance and b) it should be able to recognise or have the option to work with libraries on other drives.

If you have any kind of reasonable to heavy computer usage you will have the C drive for programs only and all music, photos and storage on other drives. Garmin hasn't caught on to that basic premise as yet either.
  • Hello,

to solve your problem, the easier way is to create an hard link of the xml file to the directory where Garmin is searching for the library. In this way you don't need to care anymore of the updates to the file. The hard link will always point to the orignal file but Garmin Express will never now that is only a link.
    To do that, open a command prompt with administrative privileges, and type this command

mklink /H "C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media Library.xml" "D:\Your_Custom_iTunes_Folder\iTunes Library.xm"

In my case, I have also the Music library in another disk, but the xml file is in the right directory. Anyway Garmin Express is not able to read my iTunes library, so I have to use the Manual option to locate the folder where resides all my music.

Garmin -> good products && bad support

Edika
  • Hello,

to solve your problem, the easier way is to create an hard link of the xml file to the directory where Garmin is searching for the library. In this way you don't need to care anymore of the updates to the file. The hard link will always point to the orignal file but Garmin Express will never now that is only a link.
    To do that, open a command prompt with administrative privileges, and type this command

mklink /H "C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media Library.xml" "D:\Your_Custom_iTunes_Folder\iTunes Library.xm"

Thanks for this tip. I gave it a try, but I ran into some problems. Using your code, I replaced \username and \Your_Custom_iTunes_Folder with the correct values for my system. The end of your string shows ".xm" instead of ".xml". I thought that might be a typo, so I added the "l" at the end.

With command prompt open as administrator, I tried to run the command, but Windows returned this error:

The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive.

I did some reading, and I came across a document (https://www.2brightsparks.com/resources/articles/NTFS-Hard-Links-Junctions-and-Symbolic-Links.pdf) which says, "Hard links cannot link to a file that is on a different partition, volume or drive." Since I need to link to a file on a different drive, it sounds like the Hard Link approach won't work for me.

I then tried using mklink to make a Symbolic Link, but ultimately that didn't work either. Garmin Express became unable to read my iTunes library. I eventually had to go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced and uncheck/re-check the "Share iTunes Library XML with other applications" checkbox to force it to recreate the xml file. Then I did the copy/rename/move routine to get Garmin Express back to a state where it recognized my iTunes Library.

• That's strange because I use Drive F: to link to Drive C: and everythings works correctly. Are the two drive on the same filesystem (NTFS) ? Which OS are you using?
  • That's strange because I use Drive F: to link to Drive C: and everythings works correctly. Are the two drive on the same filesystem (NTFS) ? Which OS are you using?

yeah all the same. Only difference is C drive is solid state and storage drives are normal. All iTunes music on storage drives rather than base C drive. Everything works fine but I don't think Garmin are up with the times unfortunately. Quite frustrating Im using windows 10