This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

PC No longer Recognices Nuvi 2595LM

I have TWO Nuvi 2595lmt one for Europe and one for America. I really need some help here as I can not believe BOTH devices could fail at the same time

My Europe device (s/n 2ES729304) would not connect to my PC for the latest map update. Having tried everything I could think of I emailed Garmin and the outcome was that it was faulty and I should replace it. (which I now have with a DriveSmart 51)

I have now connected my NUVI with US mapping to my laptop and it is exhibiting EXACTLY the same issues, i.e. the PC does not recognise it. I am running Win 8.1 and IE 11; I have reloaded the USB drivers I have manually loaded Garmin Communicator and Garmin Express.

I have another PC with Win7 on it and I have tried a fresh install of Garmin Express/Communicator to no avail. The PC does not see the device as a storage device.

Both of these Nuvis worked perfectly OK until recently, they are both up to date with mapping and software. This has only come about when I tried to connect for the latest update.

Addendum: When the device is connect to the USB (I have tried various cables and checked the cable with the New DriveSmart51) the computer icon comes on the Nuvi screen, stays there for a while and then goes off and loads the maps as if there is no USB cable connected.
  • You do realize that there is a USB cable for charge and one for charge and data? My guess is you are only using a charge only usb cable, when you need the charge / data one.
  • Yes I think I do realise that!

I did say (I have tried various cables and checked the cable with the New DriveSmart51)

I have a number of mini USB cable and I have some external USB drives. If you connect a USB drive to the PC if recognises the external storage, if you then connect the DriveSmart to the same cable it recognises it and displays it on explorer. If you now connect the NUVI, to the same cable and same port, it does not recognise it.

As I am not an expert on Garmin devices the next statement may not be correct but I am guessing that the Garmin Express, Garmin Communicator and the USB drivers are all correctly installed because I can communicate with the DriveSmart on the USB port.

(By the way I also have a Garmin DashCam 35 and this is also happy connecting via the USB cable so I do think that I know there are data cables and charging cables)
  • Garmin Communicator is not required for Express, but I can't think why your nuvi isn't connecting unless the nuvi is faulty if as you say the same setup (cable etc) works with your Drive. However try running through this FAQ https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/l0p9W9vsc37NJ3vH2b5pF6
  • How old were/are these devices? Are their batteries not depleted - which means that USB port is not able to support them?

I started experiencing similar behaviour with 3590LMT couple of years ago - that I originally got in 2012: Connectivity losses, PC / GE losing the sight during map upgrade etc.. I moved on and got myself nuvicam & gave the old unit back to my father-in-law - it still works fine, it's just problematic to handle during the maintenance upgrade.
  • I have actually been to that support web page and it didn't show up any changes.

However the battery issue in Krzemien's response I don't know so I have put it on charge and will report back if it makes any difference. The battery wasn't flat but it wasn't fully charged either.
  • Ok I have charged the Nuvi up fully and tried again but it is still not recognised by the laptop.

The Nuvi recognises that a USB cable is connected and goes in to mass storage mode i.e. displays the computer icon on the screen. The laptop does not recognise the device on the USB port and then the Nuvi switches back to normal mode and starts to load the maps.

Was anything in the last software update to the Nuvi devices that could be the cause of this? I ask this because when the last update of software was available my European Nuvi and my Nuvi with American maps were both updated OK, the problem has only come about since then and it is affecting BOTH the Nuvi devices. (I could believe that there was a problem with USB port on the European device as this has had a lot more use than the American maps, but for them both to fail indicates that there is a different issue)
  • Are you using Win10? If so try switching your nuvi from mtp to mass storage mode as Win10 sometimes has issues with mtp devices.
  • I am using win 8.1 and I have also tried a complete install of Garmin Express on a Win 7 machine all to no avail
  • I am getting Page not found for that link Is it correct?:

http://www.gpscity.com/questions?qid=44804