This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

PC No longer Recognices Nuvi 2595LM

I have TWO Nuvi 2595lmt one for Europe and one for America. I really need some help here as I can not believe BOTH devices could fail at the same time

My Europe device (s/n 2ES729304) would not connect to my PC for the latest map update. Having tried everything I could think of I emailed Garmin and the outcome was that it was faulty and I should replace it. (which I now have with a DriveSmart 51)

I have now connected my NUVI with US mapping to my laptop and it is exhibiting EXACTLY the same issues, i.e. the PC does not recognise it. I am running Win 8.1 and IE 11; I have reloaded the USB drivers I have manually loaded Garmin Communicator and Garmin Express.

I have another PC with Win7 on it and I have tried a fresh install of Garmin Express/Communicator to no avail. The PC does not see the device as a storage device.

Both of these Nuvis worked perfectly OK until recently, they are both up to date with mapping and software. This has only come about when I tried to connect for the latest update.

Addendum: When the device is connect to the USB (I have tried various cables and checked the cable with the New DriveSmart51) the computer icon comes on the Nuvi screen, stays there for a while and then goes off and loads the maps as if there is no USB cable connected.
  • Works for me. Have you tried my suggestion above about switching to mass storage mode?
  • I read your message but because it said Win 10 I didn't look how to do because I am using Win 8.1.

Having looked at the Nuvi I can't see how to change from mtp to mass storage. Can you explain for me?

(I am not certain what is the matter with the link above , my PC can not find GPSCity at all however my other PC with Win& doe find GPSCity ok so I will type the link in to that PC and find out whether it helps)

**I have read the thread on the GPSCity link and found how to change the mtp setting to Mass Storage but unfortunately it didn't work either.
  • Did you read the whole thread?

Also, are you using original Garmin USB cable that came with your unit?
  • Looking like either a faulty device then, maybe a faulty usb port. Check there's no dirt in it. If still no joy try calling Garmin support.
  • I would agree with you (Sussamb) except for the fact the TWO Nuvi devices have done the very same thing; they were OK when I last did an update to the map and the software and now both are failing to connect to the PC. I was persuaded by Garmin Support that when the first Nuvi device had a problem it had failed, probably the USB port, and so I bought a new unit.

However for the second unit, which hasn't had anything like the use of the European one, to exhibit the exact same problem says to me that something has happened after the last update,
  • So... as I did not see these questions answered explicitly (sorry!):

1. Did you connect the unit to PC using originally supplied short USB cable, straight to the USB port?
    2. Did you read the whole thread from GPSCity and tried various scenarios there?
    3. Did you try fiddling mini-USB plug a bit when unit is connected?

If yes and to no avail, then I'm afraid it's this scenario:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vedk3QqU1o

• In reply to Krzemien

1. yes, and many other cables directly after using that cable to connect with both DriveSmart 51 and DasCam 35
    3. yes, with the Nuvi with Europe maps this was a valid point as the device had been used a lot so the connector could be worn. However the Nuvi with American maps is virtually brand new (but I tried fiddling the cable any way)

Now number 2; I read it down to page three because page four wasn't here but by that time it is all about other people trying the same things . I have reloaded Communicator; I have switched it to Mass storage; I have done a fresh install of Garmin Express; I have tried laptop left and right USB ports and a PC front and rear ports; I made sure it was fully charged.

Other than the mass storage selection I had tried all of these things before I posted the question on this forum..

As far as the video is concerned I haven't seen that particular one but I have view others. I thought of doing that but failed to source the same type of board mounted mini USB.

I am still puzzled by the fact that BOTH Nuvi's have failed yet I have been updating these two device on a regular basis with the same laptop and had no issues until this last update which is why I posed the question of is there something that has happened since the last software update on the NUvi.
  • Mine are all still working fine, 3 nuvis and one DriveSmart. Unsure how else to help, but hope you find the solution sometime. Might be worth trying another PC?
  • so far I have tried them on a laptop with Win 8.1 and a PC with Win 7 Pro neither work.

I have asked Garmin Support but so far the only response has been to copy the Support web site in an email.
  • Call rather than email them so they can remotely troubleshoot your PC/laptop/system.