This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New esu.exe .NET error entry in Event Viewer since 5.3.0.0 release

I started seeing these in Event Viewer from last Saturday, i.e. when I updated Garmin Express to latest version, i.e.: 5.3.0.0

Event 1026, .NET Runtime

Application: esu.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides+<UpdateDatacenterOverridesAsync>d__61.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder.Start[[Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides+<UpdateDatacenterOverridesAsync>d__61, ExpressSelfUpdater, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]](<UpdateDatacenterOverridesAsync>d__61 ByRef)
at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides.UpdateDatacenterOverridesAsync(Boolean)
at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides..cctor()

Exception Info: System.TypeInitializationException
at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides.get_OmtBaseUrl()
at Garmin.Omt.Express.SelfUpdater.Program.RealMain()
at Garmin.Omt.Express.SelfUpdater.Program.Main(System.String[])

I have not seen these before, just checked.

I re-installed GE twice, also removed data from %LOCALAPPDATA%\Garmin_Ltd._or_its_subsid as suggested elsewhere. But to no avail.

Windows 10 Home x64, fully up to date. No other issues seen. GE works fine nonetheless (except the usual bugs).

Any ideas?
  • I got a similar problem. Windows 10.
    The problem details are as follows:

Description
    Faulting application name: esu.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x58dac8d5
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.1066, time stamp: 0x58d9f07f
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x000da932
    Faulting process id: 0x397c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2b8db24521dd4
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Express SelfUpdater\esu.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 941afa18-2119-4fa2-8b8b-8fad0bbaf75f
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

I also tried to copy the "Newtonsoft.Json.dll" in the folder but the esu.exe still doesn't run. It produces the error shown in the attachment and invokes the debugger of the VS.
  • I copied the DLL on my Win10 system and it did fix the errors being logged on bootup. You do get errors if you try to manually run esu.exe, but it's not designed to work that way.
  • I also have the issue, Windows 10 latest update (is reporting the problem since v5.3.0, I have the v 5.3.1 now)

Source
    Garmin.Omt.Express.SelfUpdater

Summary
    Stopped working

Date
    &#8206;2017-&#8206;04-&#8206;19 7:26 AM

Status
    Not reported

Description
    Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Express SelfUpdater\esu.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: esu.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 03: 58dac8d5
    Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
    Problem Signature 05: 4.7.2046.0
    Problem Signature 06: 589c059b
    Problem Signature 07: 5c5f
    Problem Signature 08: 2c
    Problem Signature 09: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
    OS Version: 10.0.15063.2.0.0.768.101
    Locale ID: 4105
    Additional Information 1: 2beb
    Additional Information 2: 2beba6fb4680d73a8c78ca7c24ccdb46
    Additional Information 3: 4bee
    Additional Information 4: 4bee0b688f92a58db71f79d49bc5b4cc
  • have same problem on win 7 x64
    Faulting application name: express.exe, version: 5.3.1.0, time stamp: 0x58dac8c7
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23714, time stamp: 0x58bf87bb
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000c54f
    Faulting process id: 0x1544
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2b93e52eeed39
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Express\express.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 8058af52-2532-11e7-992e-94de806b7398

Application: express.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.OutOfMemoryException
    at NLog.Targets.Wrappers.AsyncTargetWrapper.ProcessPendingEvents(System.Object)
    at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.CallCallbackInContext(System.Object)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
    at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.CallCallback()
    at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.Fire()
    at System.Threading.TimerQueue.FireQueuedTimerCompletion(System.Object)
    at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
    at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
    at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    Garmin Express v.5.3.1.0 installations into Windows 10 &amp; Windows 10 Insider Preview.

Hi

I have multiple installations of Windows 10 & Windows 10 Insider Preview. I also have problems with Garmin Express v.5.3.1.0 when I install into Windows 10. I get multiple failures of Garmin.Omt.Express.Selfupdater.
    See above.

I have addressed these problems to Microsoft through the Feedback Hub. This problem is not confined to my few machines when I look on the Internet. Many people have been experiencing problems with Garmin Express since Windows 10 was released to the general public. But I have not seen any comments, advice, help from Garmin regarding this.
    Because Windows 10 is the current Microsoft Windows operating system, I find id difficult to understand why no help or advice has been forthcoming from Garmin regarding this issue?
    Does anyone in the forum have the same problems and or any help please?
  • the esu.exe still doesn't run

Yes, you have to invoke the program via the Task Scheduler - either wait for it to automatically happen or open up the Task Scheduler, find the appropriate task (like "Express Update" or whatever), right click it and select "Run".

On my system (Windows 8.1) the log files are stored in C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Logs\SelfUpdater and show no errors (*) since I copied over that DLL.

===

(*) "Showed no errors" means just that - I assume the updater is now working correctly however I have no evidence of that other than a lack of logged runtime errors - it is possible (though I hope not probable) that the updater is running but silently failing to update but exiting with "success". In any case, the process is getting invoked, logging, and completing with a "success" exit.
  • Does anyone in the forum have the same problems and or any help please?

You are getting the same File Not Found error as others on this thread. Read the prior posts in this thread that tell how to "recover" the file that is not getting found.
  • have same problem on win 7 x64...
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Express\express.exe

No, you are having a different problem with a different Garmin program. THIS thread is about the Garmin program "esu.exe"; YOUR problem is about the Garmin program "express.exe". You probably should search for that on this forum or start a new thread about it.
  • Windows 10 update to Garmin of 1st April stopped Garmin.Omt.Express.selfupdater daily

I have a NUVI 2699LMT-D updated by a pc running Windows 10
    The Windows 10 update of April 1st 2017 installed version 5.3.1.0 of Garmin Express and Garmin Express Tray
    Every day since then my Windows 10 reliability report states that "Garmin.Omt.Express.Selfupdater" stopped working.
    When I chatted to the Garmin Tech I was told to uninstall Express then reinstall it from the web. No change
    Chatted again to a Tech and was emailed a link to a one time updater No change.
    I then phoned Garmin and was told it's a known problem, but the fault lies with Microsoft and I should talk to them.
    Chatted to Microsoft, and at first the ""Technician"" didn't know what Garmin was, he thought I was talking about a Gaming app, after remote connection and various mentions of system restores and wipes, I got concerned about the technicians knowledge and killed the call.

Can anyone suggest a fix, that does not involve going back to an earlier version of Garmin Express?

George :confused:
  • Fix is in this thread / post:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?372743-New-esu-exe-NET-error-entry-in-Event-Viewer-since-5-3-0-0-release&p=971664#post971664

I am surprised that you did not spot this thread prior to posting?

And no, it's not MS fault, it's Gamin's messiness once again.