This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New esu.exe .NET error entry in Event Viewer since 5.3.0.0 release

I started seeing these in Event Viewer from last Saturday, i.e. when I updated Garmin Express to latest version, i.e.: 5.3.0.0

Event 1026, .NET Runtime

Application: esu.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides+<UpdateDatacenterOverridesAsync>d__61.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder.Start[[Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides+<UpdateDatacenterOverridesAsync>d__61, ExpressSelfUpdater, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]](<UpdateDatacenterOverridesAsync>d__61 ByRef)
at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides.UpdateDatacenterOverridesAsync(Boolean)
at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides..cctor()

Exception Info: System.TypeInitializationException
at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides.get_OmtBaseUrl()
at Garmin.Omt.Express.SelfUpdater.Program.RealMain()
at Garmin.Omt.Express.SelfUpdater.Program.Main(System.String[])

I have not seen these before, just checked.

I re-installed GE twice, also removed data from %LOCALAPPDATA%\Garmin_Ltd._or_its_subsid as suggested elsewhere. But to no avail.

Windows 10 Home x64, fully up to date. No other issues seen. GE works fine nonetheless (except the usual bugs).

Any ideas?
  • I updated GE to v5.3.1.0 and issue remains.

esu.exe is part of GarminSelfUpdater and by the look of it self-updater does not work indeed - otherwise I would not have updated GE myself (I think this has been happening in background in the past).

Thoughts? Has anybody else seen this in the Event Viewer either?
  • I'm getting the exact same error.

Noticed the self updater wasn't working so I manually updated yesterday and error persists.

I'm also getting Event Error 1000 at the same time:

Faulting application name: esu.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x58dac8d5
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23677, time stamp: 0x589c9620
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000c54f
    Faulting process id: 0x264
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2abcc2912374e
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Express SelfUpdater\esu.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 6836d158-17bf-11e7-b62c-10bf487e4588
  • I'm also getting Event Error 1000 at the same time:

Faulting application name: esu.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, /SNIP

Yeah, the same here, I assumed that the other error notification would be enough for somebody at Garmin to investigate.
  • I'll add myself to that list. Noticed it with 5.3.0.0. I had backed off to 5.2.0.0 due to some other issues (turned out to be buggy WPD update that prevented Win10 from even seeing my nuvi.) It then updated itself to 5.3.1.0, and the errors started again.

This is Win10 Home, 64bit.
  • I have opened a new case for this and it is currently being investigated.

Jason
  • The same happens to me
    Windows 7
    Express 5.3.1.0
    Express install the new map on the navigator correctly, but fails to write it in my computer

Nome dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: esu.exe, versione: 1.0.0.0, timestamp: 0x587d30e8
    Nome del modulo che ha generato l'errore: KERNELBASE.dll, versione: 6.1.7601.23677, timestamp: 0x589c9620
    Codice eccezione: 0xe0434352
    Offset errore 0x0000c54f
    ID processo che ha generato l'errore: 0x9b4
    Ora di avvio dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: 0x01d2b03ee22cbb48
    Percorso dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Express SelfUpdater\esu.exe
    Percorso del modulo che ha generato l'errore: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
    ID segnalazione: 2153c0f4-1c32-11e7-9fd3-2c41388c47b3

Just another datapoint - Windows 8.1 - same type of error that's fairly recent.

Note, however (and maybe a red herring), I recently changed a couple settings that theoretically speed up certain operations on my ancient machine that had to do with "backward compatibility"; these changes may have been made AFTER the errors started showing up, though.

Pardon 2nd reply to save post but I wanted THIS reply separate.

Anyway, I found the log files for the updater that reflect the error mentioned in the 1st post of this thread. In it's entirety the April2nd log file says:

2017-04-02 07:22:38.0120 | 1 | I | Running scheduled Express Update task
    2017-04-02 07:22:38.6995 | 1 | I | Express Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Express\Express.exe
    2017-04-02 07:22:41.4026 | 1 | I | Express version: 5.3.1.0
    2017-04-02 07:22:42.1526 | 1 | E | System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides.<UpdateDatacenterOverridesAsync>d__61.MoveNext()
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)
    at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides.UpdateDatacenterOverridesAsync(Boolean force)
    at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides..cctor()
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at Garmin.Omt.Service.Shared.Overrides.get_OmtBaseUrl()
    at Garmin.Omt.Express.SelfUpdater.Program.RealMain()
    at Garmin.Omt.Express.SelfUpdater.Program.Main(String[] args)

When I do a Search for "Newtonsoft.Json" all I find is a bunch of files named "Newtonsoft.Json.dll" (and one explanatory text file about a license).

[note - I reposted THIS post with considerably more information after this post had not appeared - thought I'd posted wrong. So, moderator,, that similar post made after this post may be more useful to post]
  • [note - I reposted THIS post with considerably more information after this post had not appeared - thought I'd posted wrong. So, moderator,, that similar post made after this post may be more useful to post]

Okay, anyway, the extra information was that the "Newtonsoft.Json.dll" file was not in the Self Updater folder. I copied it from another location in the Garmin folder tree and re-ran the Updater task and it completed successfully (albeit there was nothing to update, the task itself did not error-out as the previous posts in this thread show).
  • Okay, anyway, the extra information was that the "Newtonsoft.Json.dll" file was not in the Self Updater folder. I copied it from another location in the Garmin folder tree and re-ran the Updater task and it completed successfully (albeit there was nothing to update, the task itself did not error-out as the previous posts in this thread show).

Yep, once copied to ~\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Express SelfUpdater folder error notifications stopped and reliability monitor is no longer affected (see attached choppy chart)