This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin 2597 not recognized by desktop or laptop

Dear Experts

I bought my used gramin nuvi 2597 from a friend of mine and I was trying to update the map via my desktop and laptop using garmin express, but unfortunate garmin express was not able to recognize the GPS !!!!

I had used two different genuine mini USB cables not only one cable.

Garmin gets charged via its USB port but not recognized when gets connected via the same USB port!!!!

Both laptop and desktop have windows 7 ultimate installed on it

Thanks
  • Thanks for the link
    I tried all the steps in the link that you have posted before posting to the forum but no luck
  • zillah2004

I am sorry you cannot get your nuvi 2597 to be detected by the computer. If you have tried all the steps in the previous article provided, most likely there is a problem with the device. We can try a couple more steps however. It is possible the issue is just that the computer(s) are not providing enough power for the device to maintain a connection. Sometimes switching the mode it connects with can help because it may use less power. Please try the following:
    • With the device turned on but not plugged in, select "Volume".
    • Press and hold the upper-right of the volume screen. (It should be blank there.)
    • Press on “Configurations and Settings”.
    • Press on "MTP Settings".
    • Select "Mass Storage" and click on "Save". (You can switch this back later if you want.)
    • Connect the device directly to the computer using the GARMIN USB cable. (Ours has a "GARMIN" label.)
    Hopefully, the device will now switch modes and will be detected.

If the device still isn't detected by the computer(s), then it will need to be repaired or replaced. Please contact ">Product Support">Product Support to learn about the available options.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Dave
  • Thanks Dave
    I tried your instructions but still no joy.
    I am using two gramin cables that have garmin logo on the them (at the end where USB connection type A ).
    What confusing me Garmin port can be used to charge gramin but the same port it is not delectable by three computers
  • zillah2004

I am happy to explain the cables charging but not allowing the device to connect with data. When you look at the inside of the cable or USB port, you should be able to see some metal pins (connectors) inside. Those pins are how data is transferred or how power is transferred and they only do one or the other. So, if the pins for the data are damaged but the pins for power are not, the device can charge but never connect to the computer. Keep in mind, you are only seeing part of the pins so the damage isn't always visible by looking from the outside.

Hopefully this explains the issue more clearly.

Dave