How to delete old device from basecamp?

I'm using basecamp 4.4.6. It shows two devices, my current unit and my previous unit, which I no longer have. Because of various problems I'm having using basecamp, I want to delete my previous unit from basecamp and everywhere else. I'm using Windows 8.1.

I found a previous forum post which said to remove a file named GarminDevice.XML. I can't find any file by that name. I can't find the path given in that forum post. (Yes, I told File Explorer to show all hidden items.)

I uninstalled basecamp and the garmin drivers. I deleted all files and folders with 'garmin' anywhere in the name. I deleted all files and folders with 'basecamp' anywhere in the name. I reinstalled the latest version of basecamp. Basecamp still shows 2 devices.

What do I do now?
  • I don't know if this is significant or not. I had a thought to try re-formatting the microSD card in the nuvi. I can't.

My PC shows the nuvi as a device, not a removable disk. Therefore the format option is not available.
  • I don't believe reformatting the card is going to help. You have ample room on your nuvi and so I don't understand why Basecamp isn't able to send waypoints etc to it. As I posted earlier this probably needs a Basecamp developer to chime in.

Your nuvi defaults to mtp mode which is why it shows as a device. You can set it to mass storage mode, but then you are at risk of bricking it if you do something you shouldn't, hence the move to mtp mode on the latest nuvis. If you are happy to take the risk:

1. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.
    2. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
    3. The Developers Screen will pop up
    4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
    5. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
    6. Shut down NUVI and connect to PC
    7. It should now connect in mass storage mode.

As an alternative to step 1 above, you can bring up the Nuvi's "trip information" screen by tapping the speed icon, then press and hold the speedometer for about 10 seconds to access the developer screen.
  • If reformatting the SD card won't help, I see no reason to change modes on the nuvi. Besides, I have other ways to format the card if I want to. I just wasn't sure if the nuvi did something special if the card was formatted while in the socket.

It looks like we're out of ideas. So, how do we get a Basecamp developer to chime in?
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 9 years ago
    You wait ...

How long do we have to wait? Googlemaps doesn't work with Garmin devices anymore and now BaseCamp doesn't work with my LM55 either.

It used to work fine until I ran the latest updates on the LM55 unit and my Windows 7 PC. Garmin Express will still connect and I can access it from Windows Explorer. When I start Basecamp 4.4.7 the connection is almost immediately lost.

I have Basecamp 4.3.5 from a previous update and tried to reinstall it but it won't start ("There is a problem with the BaseCamp installation.... etc"). I then tried to install 4.3.5 on a Windows 8.1 laptop but I have the same problems, LM55 will disconnect as soon as I start BaseCamp 4.3.5 and it will also crash Windows Explorer.

What do I now use for making waypoints and routes? A POI loader? Mapquest maybe? Is anyone at Garmin doing any QA before making new versions available for download?

Update: Tried to set MTP setting to MASS STORAGE as explained in #23 and that fixed the problem :p (but I'm still a bit upset over wasting 3-4 hours on this)
  • I found that I can run BaseCamp standalone (no GPS connected). I create whatever routes and waypoints that I want. Then I export them to a file on my PC. I can copy that file to the microSD card from my Garmin and the Garmin sees them and works as expected.

It's an awkward work-around, but it's better than trying to do everything in the LM55 itself.

Meanwhile, we still wait for a fix from Garmin.