This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

how to restore from windows backup

Hi.. I had a catastrophic failure of my hard drive, and had to wipe it and re install everything. I had a fairly recent backup (using the backup manager that came with my storage device) but I cannot find where the Basecamp database files are located with all my saved tracks, poi's, routes etc.

I looked in /user/AppData/Roaming/GARMIN but don't see anything there from which to try and recover.

seems maybe I am out of luck if my backup software did not grab those files but it did contain some files, just nothing that looks like a database.

am I hosed? I had over ten years of files and data stored and just assumed my backup manager would be backing up the appropriate files
  • Unless you changed the location it should be in /users/AppData/xxx/Roaming/Garmin/Database (assuming you're on Win7) ... if it's not then you are indeed hosed, sorry.
  • the path is actually as I mentioned /users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/Garmin, which has three directories /Map Update, Plugins and WebUpdate, but no Database directory
  • Then it looks like you're out of luck ...
  • path on Win 7 Pro

Unless you changed the location it should be in /users/AppData/xxx/Roaming/Garmin/Database (assuming you're on Win7) ... if it's not then you are indeed hosed, sorry.

The path on my Win 7 Pro is a bit different::

C: Users / xxx / AppData / Roaming / Garmin / BaseCamp / Database / 4.4 /

there is also a 4.3 directory with older data - so I assume it refers to BC versions 4.3.X and 4.4.X

there are 4 files that look like real data

AllData.gdb
    AllData.gbd.bak

FolderData.gfi
    FolderData.gfi.bak
  • Well this is kinda strange....

I use BaseCamp v4.4.6 on Win7 Home Premium and my path is different yet??

Don (user name) / AppData / Roaming / Garmin / BaseCamp / Backup Files

And the files created by the BaseCamp software when I click "Backup" are like this : BaseCamp 2015-02-21.backup

I have used those and they are what you need. Do a search for files named BaseCamp. They could be anywhere.

BaseCamp also made a file in the Database folder at the same time but a much smaller file like this : AllData.gdb : and I have never used one of those.
  • I think we're at cross purposes here. You're talking about the back up that Basecamp makes when you click on Backup I think? The OP was talking about the Basecamp database files ... which are generally in a folder named 4.3 or 4.4 or similar (depending on the Basecamp version you're using) ... but anyway he seems to have gone away so maybe he resolved his issue.
  • True....he and others were talking about DataBase files but the OP also stated that he wanted to restore his BaseCamp after a hard drive failure.

I have done that and I had to use the backup files I made before the failure.

I also noticed that the DataBase files had the exact same timestamp as the backup files so obviously the computer makes them at the same time.

Also the DataBase files are GDB but MapSource will not open them?? It says they are the wrong version??

Have you ever used one of those DataBase files??
  • Also the DataBase files are GDB but MapSource will not open them?? It says they are the wrong version??

That's correct. MapSource supports GDB up to version 3; the GDB that BaseCamp uses for its database is something like version 82...
    (the import function BaseCamp doesn't support it by the way; that is limited to v3 too)
  • So then just what are those GDB files good for??

Does the "Restore..." function use them instead of the BaseCamp.backup file??