This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

how to restore from windows backup

Hi.. I had a catastrophic failure of my hard drive, and had to wipe it and re install everything. I had a fairly recent backup (using the backup manager that came with my storage device) but I cannot find where the Basecamp database files are located with all my saved tracks, poi's, routes etc.

I looked in /user/AppData/Roaming/GARMIN but don't see anything there from which to try and recover.

seems maybe I am out of luck if my backup software did not grab those files but it did contain some files, just nothing that looks like a database.

am I hosed? I had over ten years of files and data stored and just assumed my backup manager would be backing up the appropriate files
  • The AllData.gdb file contains all your routes, waypoints and tracks (track data is partially stored in the folder TrackSegments).
    The FolderData.gfi file contains the folder structure.

A .backup file is actually a .zip file (with a different extension) and contains everything from C:\Users{username}\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\BaseCamp\
    The Restore function can only restore .backup files.
  • Thanks for the info.

My next guess is that the DataBase folder is where BaseCamp stores all its data as you use it up until shutdown.
    Then when you open BaseCamp again it uses that DataBase folder to set up all your files etc again.

If that is true and a user does not have a .backup file, would it be possible to put the AllData and FolderData files in the proper file structure and open a fresh copy of BaseCamp and have it load whatever data are in those files? A possible restore of sorts?
  • Yes, that is possible. You also need the folder TrackSegments with its contents, otherwise your tracks will lose all timestamps, elevations and additional data like cadence and heartrate.
  • Thank you Javawa.

That is all good info.

Too bad Newmanr19 did not get some of this but maybe it will help the next guy that needs to try and restore BaseCamp data without a .backup file.
  • Thanks for the info.

My next guess is that the DataBase folder is where BaseCamp stores all its data as you use it up until shutdown.
    Then when you open BaseCamp again it uses that DataBase folder to set up all your files etc again.

If that is true and a user does not have a .backup file, would it be possible to put the AllData and FolderData files in the proper file structure and open a fresh copy of BaseCamp and have it load whatever data are in those files? A possible restore of sorts?

That's how I back up my data, simply copying the files from that folder. I find it quicker/easier to sync files between my 2 PCs that way rather than use the backup/restore function.
  • Didn't we also have an earlier discussion that concluded Backup/Restore does not get everything that's in the database?

...ken...
  • Well, "Backup" zips the complete database folder (actually, it even stores previous database versions), and the folders with custom maps, activity related stuff, geotagged photos and BirdsEye files. The only items that are omitted are empty folders.
    Looks like a complete backup to me... Do you have a link to that earlier discussion?
    Looks like a complete backup to me...

Yes, it does.

... Do you have a link to that earlier discussion?

No I don't. I was going from the memory of a previous discussion about differences between the database files, backups and GPX exports of the same data. I have probably confused it with differences between what's in the database and what does not get exported when you create a GPX file as a backup alternative (eg. folder/list structures, etc). I'm old enough I should know better than to depend on my memory. :)

...ken...
  • Too bad Newmanr19 did not get some of this but maybe it will help the next guy that needs to try and restore BaseCamp data without a .backup file.

Five years later, and it did indeed help me to do exactly that!  Many thanks.