Viewing OS map from hard drive?

Hello,

My O450 is loaded with the OS Landranger 1:50 UK complete and is viewable in Basecamp when 450 is attached in mass storage mode. The map is on the SD card.

I have backed up the SD card to a folder on my hard drive and can see the files when looking from file manager/explorer but I cannot load the map in Basecamp. It seems I have to have the 450 plugged in.

In Basecamp / import when you view the hard drive folder nothing is visible even though all file formats is selected.

It would be handy to view the maps without having to plug the 450 in, anyone managed this with OS or is it yet another OS restriction?

The file list is
Directory called EULA with nothing in it.
Directory called Garmin with 3 files called
GMAPSUPP.GMA
GMAPSUPP ( winzip file that cannot be opened )
GMAPSUPP.UNL

Thanks for any help, tips

John.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 12 years ago
    You can copy the Garmin folder from your Oregon to a cheap USB flash drive and it should behave exactly the same as the unit itself when connected to your computer.

If you want to get fancier, I think Popej's ideas will also do what you want: https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=114522&postcount=9

Only caveat is that I believe Garmin's OS maps are a bit different from "normal" vector maps in that they also contain raster imagery (scans of paper maps). But if you can view the maps with the Oregon connected, then these other techniques *should* work.
  • Thanks for suggestion, tried it from hard drive and USB drive but the file cannot be seen. I tried it in Mapsource as well and the file GMAPSUPP which is the img file can be seen as an option exists for "all files" but when you try to open it I get an error message saying it is not a valid map file.

I can only imagine this must be some copy protection routine from our paranoid friends at Ordnance Survey?

Someone prove me wrong!!

John
  • Former Member
    The maps will not be read from a hard drive, even a USB hard drive. It needs to be on a device that the computer considers a "removable drive". Copy the Garmin folder, including the map, to the root directory of a USB thumb drive and I think it will work.

The fact that it works when you connect your Oregon makes me think it should also work if copied from another removable device. I don't think it's copy protection, because you would have gotten an error message of some sort in that case.

This will only work with Basecamp. Mapsource cannot access this kind of file.
  • Tried this tonight but still no luck. Copied all the files to a USB stick root directory and whilst Basecamp sees the drive it does not see the OS map.

I`m convinced the OS have crippled this in some way.

John
  • Former Member
    Did you copy the entire Garmin directory to the USB drive? The files must be in the Garmin folder to be recognized. Not sure, but the file GarminDevice.xml might also be needed.

Basically, you should copy everything from the Oregon to the flash drive. It needs to have the same folder structure as the GPS itself.
  • Yes I did, the entire structure of the Oregon was copied over and I set the folder options to include hidden files to ensure it went like for like. I also tried moving the map files to the Garmin directory but this did not work either.

I do appreciate your suggestions and I notice you are in NJ in the US. In the UK the Ordnance Survey are noted for their paranoia that someone might copy their superb maps and they do go to great lengths to protect their work. For example I cannot print any part of the map or back up the maps to a different SD card! This is why I think something is in there stopping me from seeing the maps away from the Garmin unit.

Garmin support emailed me and told me I could not back up the maps to another card :(
  • Former Member
    Oh well, sorry. FWIW, Basecamp does not permit printing any maps that were distributed on a Garmin data card, and these cards cannot be copied. So at least that part is a "Garmin thing" and not specifically related to the OS maps.

I guess the mindset is different here. The USGS (United States Geographic Survey) has a series of topo maps that are comparable to your OS maps, and they may be free downloaded and even used in derivative works by citizens since they were created using our tax dollars.
  • I have copied the contents of the SD card that came with my 800 to a USB stick, and Basecamp was able to load the UK OS maps from the stick.

I have also used imdisk to create a virtual removable disk on my hard drive, and Basecamp will load the OS maps from that.

Steve
  • Former Member
    Well, there you go. I am surprised this didn't work for JG777 since he states that it works when the GPS itself is connected. Perhaps he has a different version of the maps though?
  • I have copied the contents of the SD card that came with my 800 to a USB stick, and Basecamp was able to load the UK OS maps from the stick.

I have also used imdisk to create a virtual removable disk on my hard drive, and Basecamp will load the OS maps from that.

Steve

That's interesting Steve, was this the Landranger 1:50 complete? Would be interested in some more detail if you have a few moments spare.

Thanks

John