Viewing OS map from hard drive?

Hello,

My O450 is loaded with the OS Landranger 1:50 UK complete and is viewable in Basecamp when 450 is attached in mass storage mode. The map is on the SD card.

I have backed up the SD card to a folder on my hard drive and can see the files when looking from file manager/explorer but I cannot load the map in Basecamp. It seems I have to have the 450 plugged in.

In Basecamp / import when you view the hard drive folder nothing is visible even though all file formats is selected.

It would be handy to view the maps without having to plug the 450 in, anyone managed this with OS or is it yet another OS restriction?

The file list is
Directory called EULA with nothing in it.
Directory called Garmin with 3 files called
GMAPSUPP.GMA
GMAPSUPP ( winzip file that cannot be opened )
GMAPSUPP.UNL

Thanks for any help, tips

John.
  • Hi John,

The label on the SD case says "Garmin GB Discoverer 1:50K All of Great Britain"

I put the following files in a directory named "Garmin" in the root of the USB stick:

GMAPSUPP.GMA
    GMAPSUPP.IMG
    GMAPSUPP.UNL

The modification date for the GMA and UNL is 9/11/2010, while for the IMG it is 2/3/2010

With the usb stick plugged in, when I start Basecamp (version 3.2.2), it finds the OS map on the card, and I can select it from the dropdown list in the toolbar
    (see attached screen capture)

Regards,

Steve
  • Steve thank you very much, your help has resolved this problem. For some reason the GMAPSUPP file was missing the .IMG tag so after renaming the file with the extension it now works.

I have no idea why the extension is missing so I checked this on the device itself and the IMG extension is missing from the version on the SD card though it has always worked.

Thanks again,

John.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 12 years ago
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you have your computer set to always show file extensions? Looking at your OP, I would guess that's the issue, because by default I believe Windows only shows "unknown" file extensions. You said gmapsupp was a "winzip file". I think the .img file extension was being misinterpreted by Windows since it is also used for other things. :)

Glad you got it working.
  • Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you have your computer set to always show file extensions? Looking at your OP, I would guess that's the issue, because by default I believe Windows only shows "unknown" file extensions. You said gmapsupp was a "winzip file". I think the .img file extension was being misinterpreted by Windows since it is also used for other things. :)

Glad you got it working.

It looks like the computer is routinely showing extensions in the file manager. Under file "type" in the file manager it does show the file as a winzip file and it has the winzip icon. It cannot be opened though by clicking on it. The name of the file was GMAPSUPP but without the .IMG bit like Steves. It does seem odd as it is not something I messed around with.

But it is working now which is very useful. Glad it was not OS restrictions as I first thought.

John
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 12 years ago
    The name of the file was GMAPSUPP but without the .IMG bit like Steves. It does seem odd as it is not something I messed around with.

That is all consistent with what I said about the option to hide extensions. Here are the files on my Montana, with the option to hide known extensions. Note how the .sum, .gma and .unl extensions are shown but not the .img extension. I have included the Folders control panel in the screenshot.

And when I disable that option in the folder preferences, the .img extension now becomes visible.

• Yes that appears consistent to what you mentioned. I unchecked the box to hide extension and see the difference in normal circumstances. So now viewing it this way it appeared to have 2 .IMG extensions so I was able to delete one of them and it still works.

Thanks for taking the time with this.

John.