"Run as Administrator?!"

Somebody has to say it:  For security reasons Microsoft strongly advises users not to operate routinely from an Administrator account, nor to "Run as Administrator," unless actually installing new software/drivers or performing other system maintenance that manifestly requires elevated privileges.  Nevertheless, Garmin has articulated a policy that all of its software must be run with Administrator privileges!  My own observations have always been that BaseCamp runs just fine from a Standard User account (To install new maps, of course, Garmin Express must run as Administrator), but when I recently asked Garmin Tech Support for an unlock code to make my new version of CNNANT accessible there (it's already unlocked for the Administrator account in which it was installed, of course), I was politely told the following:

"Have the customer run BaseCamp as an administrator to see if that fixes it. If so, then he is not using the application as designed. ALL Garmin software, ALL Applications, are designed to be used and run in an Administrator environment. They cannot use a limited account, or the Admin account has some permission issue that is preventing the application from reading the file that Garmin Express installs."

Up until a few years years ago, there were "tricks" to unlock these maps in a Standard User account.  For the last couple of years, however, the only solution seems to have been to get an unlock code from Tech Support, which this year they refused to provide.  If there is any good reason for this policy, it was not explained to me.  My naive impression is that Garmin is just too lazy to make Garmin Express unlock the new map for all users on the machine in question.

I'd be grateful for any explanation of Garmin's security-negligent policy or for any comments from other users who have been frustrated by this problem.  Regards to All -- 6430617

• When I look at my Garmin in Win File Manager I have 2 mounted drives:  "Garmin nuvi (D:)" (the Internal Memory) and "USB Drive (F:)" (the memory card).

Exploring "Garmin Nuvi (D:) I see a subfolder ".system".  In that subfolder are several files, one being "gmapprom.gma" whose file date is 4-14-20.  That is from when I updated from  2021.1 to 2021.2

Exploring "USB Drive (F:)" I have the following subfolder:  "F:\Garmin"  and in that subfolder are two files "gmapbmap.img" and "gmapprom.gma" and the file dates on BOTH those files is 4-14-22 which is when I updated to 2023.1.

So, I think the first thing for you to do is to confirm that are no other "gmapprom.gma" files located elsewhere on either the Nuvi or on the memory card that is dated on the date you upgraded to 2023.1.  You can use Search in File Manager.

If you find that no other "gmapprom.gma" files exist, then you have the same problem I had when I upgraded from 2021.1 to 2021.2.  The solution at that time was to  get e-mail support from Garmin (via their website) and after laboriously trying to explain the problem they e-mailed me an unlock code for 2021.2 that solved the problem after following the ins instructions.  Between the *************'s below is a snippet from that e-mail.

Hello <redacted>

Okay, let's try these steps.  Your unlock code for maps 2021.20 is:  <redacted> 

1. Open Garmin BaseCamp mapping application and:
      • BaseCamp - Select Maps in the toolbar at the top of the window
    2. Select Manage Map Products
    3. Select the Unlock Regions tab
    4. Select Add
    5. Enter the unlock code
    6. Select OK

Once the code is added, the map status should show as Unlocked. It may be necessary to close and re-open the application.

The only other thing that I can think of is to re-install the update to 2023.1 on both your device and your computer and see if that generates a "gmapprom.gma" file on your device somewhere with which you can follow the procedure I suggested earlier in this thread.

• >>The only other thing that I can think of is to re-install the update to 2023.1 on both your device and your computer and see if that generates a "gmapprom.gma" file on your device...<<

Yep, that did it!  Thanks again for all your help.

BTW, is there a listing anyhwere of these undocumented features about which one clearly needs to know?

Best Regards!

• I think Google is your friend for such a list.  There are lots of hits.  Here's one that I found that is about 5 years old which fits my Nuvi66; maybe it will work for you.  Otherwise you can Google "Garmin Secret Menus" an include your device model number.

https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/garmin-secret-menus.46595/

Lots of interesting stuff on that webpage.......

• UPDATE: -- This thread still contains a workable solution to this problem.  Just to summarize, here are the key steps for copying the .gma (unlock) file from the Nuvi to the Laptop that worked for me again today:

1) Ensure in File Explorer that hidden files and system files are displayed.
    2) Switch your nuvi to mass storage mode (apparently only needed the first time). Here's how:
         a) With the Nuvi disconnected from your PC, power it on.
         b) From the main screen tap "Volume."
         c) From the "Master Volume" screen tap/hold the upper right corner of the screen for a few seconds; a "Diagnostics Page" will appear.
         d) From the resulting "Diagnostics Page" tap "Configuration and Settings."
         e) From the "Configuration and Settings" Screen tap "MTP Settings."
         f) From the "MTP Settings" Screen select the "Mass Storage" Radio Button.
    g) Tap Save.
    3) Attach Nuvi to Laptop via USB.
    4) In an Administrator account update the maps on the Nuvi and the computer using Garmin Express.
    5) In a Standard Account (not "Run As Administrator"), still connected to the Nuvi, open Basecamp.
    6) On the Basecamp Ribbon: Maps -> Manage Map Products -> Unlock Regions -> Import.
    7) Browse to the "Garmin nuvi (D:)" (the Internal Memory)/Garmin/.system OR "USB Drive (F:)" (the external flash card)/Maps.
    8) Opposite the File Name Box select "Unlock Code Files (*.gma)" from the dropdown and find the file named "gmapprom.gma". (Its file date should match that of the date you updated your maps.)
    9) Click "Open".

Special thanks to , who explained this work around! -- 6430617