Pathfinding and efficiency/performance

Hello,

Basecamp got terrible pathfinding performances, it takes literally more than 20 minutes to generate a +200km route. 

(514km)

It's slow and it's not even the shortest/fastest route when riding a bike.

Google map gives us this route (in less than a second)

(385km)

Topos maps are GREAT but basecamp is honestly a hassle to use because of it's performances.

You end up going to google map, making a route yourself and then exporting the route to GPX because it's much faster.

Speaking of the route, if generating a route from A to B, the GPX file will also store the steps between thoses two points, (where you need to turn etc) buit not actually use them as the Foretrex doesn't have an map.

You need to convert this route to a track (conversion means data loss) to correctly use it.

• The issue isn't BaseCamp but the map you're using, my routes calculate in seconds.

• Issue happens with Topo France V5 Pro (sold on the garmin website) and with Open Street Map.

After investigations, Offroad profile takes only 5 secs, but Bike one takes a looonng time.

It could be linked to the heuristics used in the pathfinding, that could not have been generated for the bike roads

• Well if you use an inappropriate map that's what happens but its not a BaseCamp issue. It can only route along parts of the map that suit the routing profile etc you've chosen.

• The issue is the profile choice and possibly the classification of road types depending on the country.  If you use the Driving profile, you might see the same or similar route that you saw using google maps in a similar amount of time.

The choice of Bicycling forces the algorithm to avoid certain road types.  This greatly increases the number of possible routes that need to be investigated.  This is especially true if the map contains more detail (secondary and tertiary roads) Oddly enough, it can also make it impossible to find a route that connects A to B.  

If your route is long, most of the time it is better to start with the Driving profile and adjusting the route to avoid undesirable roads.  Then try switching to a different profile if required to match your device.  You could also try removing the major highways avoidance in the Bicycling Profile.

If your trip is more than one day, it is best to limit final routes to a single days travel.  I'm not familiar with Foretrex devices. so I do not understand your issue with route to track conversion.  All I say is that all points in the track come from points in the route.  Therefore, all points will lie on a road and there will certainly be be points at intersections where you change roads.