Deleting rouge flags

I have some blue flags in Basecamp that show up only when I select My Collection but can't be found in any Folder or List. Not even in Unlisted Data.  They are obviously related to a particular hike I made years ago, but remain even if I remove the track from Basecamp. Nor can I select or delete the flags. When I select My Collection, they are not listed in the data viewer window.

Any ideas on how to get rid of these false flags?  

• If the track was from a GPSMap 60, then the flags may have been created when you converted the track to a route.  So, deleting the track segments folder won't help.  The folder is in  <user>\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\BaseCamp\Database\.<folder X.Y> whee X.Y is the version number of BaseCamp.   If you have more than one folder here, you could try removing the others.

BaseCamp does store locations that are not visible in my collection.  When you create or alter a route by clicking on the map those locations are stored somewhere and are subject to the same naming rules as regular waypoints..  It could be those points ended up there.

If you still want to play around, you could try creating a second database from Edit>Options>General.  Export your data to a gpx file and then import it into the new database.  I'm not sure how much data you have, but if you run into problems, try exporting in several subsets.  You will loose the folder structure, but this is just to see if your flags disappear.

• Yes, I suggested a second database in one of my posts above and  was going to try it.

Your comment about storing locations that aren't available in My collection is a valid one, but those points don't display in BaseCamp, when they do they're available in My Collection or they show as part of a route/track and can be deleted.

• What you say is true, but I was thinking about older versions of BaxeCamp while the programmers were trying to solve/reduce the creation of duplicate waypoints when sending/receiving data between devices and BaseCamp..  My recollection is they experimented with a few ideas before settling on the current solution.

It's easy for me to imagination things getting corrupted during that period.   I apologize for not seeing that you has already suggested creating a new database. 

• Thanks for the suggestions. I did delete everything in appdata. Then reinstalled from the backup. And loaded the backup file onto another computer. My rouge flags went with the backup.

I also exported all the individual top level folders and that worked.  I have a lot of data covering many different parks and forests in a structure I am comfortable with. Recreating the folder structure isn't worth it to me.