Deleting rouge flags

I have some blue flags in Basecamp that show up only when I select My Collection but can't be found in any Folder or List. Not even in Unlisted Data.  They are obviously related to a particular hike I made years ago, but remain even if I remove the track from Basecamp. Nor can I select or delete the flags. When I select My Collection, they are not listed in the data viewer window.

Any ideas on how to get rid of these false flags?  

• That is very strange, try deleting then reinstalling BaseCamp.

Before you do that though first try clearing the caches at C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Garmin\BaseCamp\ProductDataCache and DeviceCache

• Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried this and now Basecamp crashes when I try to add more data. Clearly something is wrong somewhere.  I'm going to try deleting all the related files in appdata to see if it helps.  I may try down-versioning too.

IIRC I experimented with making routes using a track and the flags are a result of that work. I am sure the flags have been on Basecamp for years, but it wasn't until I revisited the track to design a new hike that the flags became an issue for me.  I exported and removed that track in an effort to solve the display problem. Now I can't ad it back in because Basecamp crashes.

• You've posted elsewhere that it's no longer crashing, have the rogue flags now gone?

• They are still waving proudly, mocking my attempts to delete them. Grimacing

They are somewhere in my backup file as they were restored with that. When I select each top level folder in My Collection individually, they don't show up. Nor are they in Unlisted Data. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

• Sorry, but if they appear in your My collection, but in no other folders or in unlisted data I have no other ideas.

I assume you don't have any devices connected?

You could try creating a new database and see if the flags then appear?  If not try then moving one folder at a time across from your original database, checking after each time.  Bit tedious but at least either the flags will transfer across with one folder or you'll be free of them.

• Thanks for you input so far.  I Googled  instruction on creating a new database and will give it a try when I get some time.

• After exporting each top level folder one by one, the flags don't display after importing into the new database. 

In the default database, I further cleaned up unused data and deleted empty folders. The flags are still rouge. 

My two GPSMap and Fenix watch are not connected.  All USB sticks and drives are disconnected. And I deleted the old adventurers just for fun.

Going through the data and exporting it by lowest level folder and list would be tedious, as you say. So unless something else comes up I'll continue to live with the problem.

Thanks for pointing out about the new database option. I was unaware of that and it will be useful as there are times I have wanted to prune and arrange my data but was hesitant to for fear of making a mess.  It will give me some more options for keeping old trip data available but not cluttering Basecamp too. It is amazing how much hiking trail data can be collected today.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

• I doubt it will work, but you could try to select them on the map with the selection tool (arrow icon) and delete them.  You mentioned that you have a fenix.  IWas your hike was recorded as a fit file?  I'm not sure when BaseCamp dropped support for .fit files.  You may have to find an older version of BaseCamp or possibly look for some folders related to ..fit.

SUSSAMB any idea what would happen if the Track Segments folder was deleted?  Would BaseCamp rebuild at the next start up?

• Well he said he couldn't even select them but if they can be selected that's worth a try.

As for the track segments folder I don't know, something to experiment with later Slight smile

• I appreciate the suggestion, BTLAAKE. My rouge flags are unselectable. And unlike other points on the map, they don't show a name. They just wave at me definitely.  LOL

What is the "Track Segments" folder?  I don't see that in Basecamp.

IIRC the flags were generated years ago when I converted a track recorded a decade ago on my GPSMap 60 into route. It is as much a curiosity as a problem. But they sit in an active area for hiking and I dislike untidy maps.