BaseCamp discontinued

This seems to indicate what many of us here have long suspected, there is no more BaseCamp development:

https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?faq=cmo7YxRdRB1DDl1JAWuEV8

(Thanks to Boyd at http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/31269/is-basecamp-headed-for-extinction#latest for flagging this up, and the folks at GPSFileDepot https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/)
  • But just like MapSource before it it'll continue to work, albeit without updates, just fine.

MapSource survived for some 12 years (v2.00 Dec 31st 1998, v6.16.3 Oct 14th 2010) and I still use it (in preference to BaseCamp).

BaseCamp (v2.00 in 2008, to v4.7.0 May 23rd 2018) only made it to 10.

One wonders what'll come next (if anything).
  • One wonders what'll come next (if anything).

Nothing (beyond the Explore wesite).

Writing software as a website kills multiple birds (Window, MacOS, Linux, Android, iOS, etc) with one stone. It's one program to write and distribute.

Plus, more people are using mobile devices over "traditional" PCs.

I suspect the number of BaseCamp/Mapsource users is small. When Mapsource came out using the internet was less of an option.

The big advantage of BaseCamp is that it doesn't use the internet.

• The big advantage of BaseCamp is that it doesn't use the internet.

you don't need internet for explore either. Once you have the app and maps on your mobile phone you can manage routes and waypoints and sync them with your device

• However, Peter, if I am reading the Garmin "compatible devices" page correctly, Explore is only compatible with 3 garmin devices: GPSmap66s, GPSmap66st and Instinct. That strikes me as a pretty limited application for Explore.
  • What you see on that list are devices that have already been supported for a while

More devices are being added for example the f5 / plus compatibility was announced here: https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-the-trail/wrist-worn/fenix-5-5s-plus/1421973-fenix-5-5s-plus-5-57-beta-release meanwhile it should work with non-beta too...

Don't quote me on it but i assume that all devices that have map capabilities will sooner or later be supported
  • As said above though no need to switch to Explore, BaseCamp should work for many of us for years to come, I even still use MapSource occasionally, BaseCamp's predecessor :)
  • Loaded the Explore app on my Android phone, saw it only supported two GPS models and promptly uninstalled it.. Be a shame if the software isn't upgraded to support the premium GPS units e.g. 3597, 51, 61 automotive models, but not holding my breath..

Leaves me considering buying another premium automotive Garmin GPS (also need one supporting a backup camera) while they are still available in case my 3597 bites the dust..

Feels the same as when I stuck with my aging 2610 GPS and MapSource during a long dry period, although now the odds of Garmin automotive support going away all together seems more likely.

:(:(
  • You can't even look at the site without one of those devices... I assume there is no way to view different maps that you have installed. I'm not sure how that is ever supposed to fill anything that Basecamp provides. I suspect Garmin is dying in the handheld and auto markets. Maybe they can stay alive in the fitness market, but that is pretty competitive.
  • [FONT=times new roman]I'm quite satisfied with BaseCamp for my purposes, but for giggles, I wrote to Garmin support to ask if Explore would be compatible with my Montana at some point in the future. They replied today with this "The current Montana series do not have the necessary hardware components to make them compatible with the Explore app & features."
    They went on to tell me "Please keep checking back for new product releases that will be compatible with Explore."
    So, it seems that, while they may well be adding new hardware to the list that is/will be compatible with Explore, there will not be any work on making Explore compatiable with older hardware.
    [/FONT]