Maps don't install correctly with Basecamp 4.7.0

I "upgraded" from Basecamp 4.6.2 to Basecamp 4.7.0 a few days ago, and today I used Basecamp to install the latest 26 May version of the Velomap Australia-Oceania map to our GPS units (Edge 1030 and Edge Explore 1000). Installs to both GPS units completed successfully according to Basecamp, but when I looked at the map files while the units were still connected to my PC, I could see that the maps on both units were only 17.8Mb in size, whereas they should have been a bit over 2Gb in size. When I disconnected the GPS units, let them boot up, and had a look under activity profiles for installed maps, both units reported that the Velomap was installed and available, but when I started recording of an activity and went to the map screen, the only detail available was from the small scale world base map.

I've never had any problems installing Velomaps with Basecamp 4.6.2, so I uninstalled Basecamp 4.7, re-installed Basecamp 4.6.2, and ran the installs again to the GPS units. This time the maps installed at the expected size and I could see correct map details during a GPS activity. The Velomap wasn't reinstalled onto the PC after reverting Basecamp, as Basecamp automatically detected the already installed map, so the map source files from which the install to the GPS was done were identical for both versions of Basecamp.

Another tick for Garmin's wonderful SQA processes.
  • There never was a 4.6.3 which is why the one you downloaded was 4.6.2 :)

Links to 4.6.2 and this solution is posted in other threads.
  • In hopes this helps someone else...

Garmin really should have resolved such a big issue since this was first discussed, but hoepfully this "solution" works for others.

Couldn't agree more:

The Europe maps I receive from Garmin are too large for my nüvi, so I use Mapinstall (MI) to ‘prune’ them as required.

Yesterday I tried to install relevant parts of ‘Europe 2019.1’ by means of MI. Apparently the process went well (took the usual amount of time, showed the usual ‘progress reports’ and no error messages) but when finished the nüvi had exactly the same maps installed as before! :(
    I retried a couple of times with same outcome.

Searching the internet I found indications of problems with newest versions of BaseCamp and MI, so I downgraded MI from version 4.2.0 to version 4.1.1.
    Initially the result was the same (no (new) maps installed) - but in my third attempt (I believe) I had succes, and my nüvi now has the map coverage i require…a very long and frustrating experience that I don’t want again!
  • Even if the maps are too large for your nuvi Express will install them to a sd card for you or offer you a smaller subset, using MapInstall isn't the best way to install the CN EU maps as it only installs the map, not the other files needed for your device to work correctly.
  • Apparently, Express cannot 'see' my SD card(?) I'm encouraged to insert one, but that is impossible: It has been sitting in its slot for years, and when I connect the device to my computer the card shows up fine! :)
    In fact Mapinstall 4.2.0 offered to install the complete set of CN EU maps, most of it on the nûvi and the rest on the SD card - but as told: In the end NO MAPS showed up! :cool:
  • First ensure the card is formatted FAT32. If it is, remove it from the device then insert it when Express asks for it. Also confirm which device you have, some older ones are not supported so it may be that MapInstall is your only option, see here https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...3R4UKUAt8x67J7 and https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=WIFhf0pGvIAJUbK9WunKa7
  • It is going on 7 months, has this issue with Basecamp been resolved?

Thank you.

• I don't know if Garmin has officially acknowledged it but I expect that 4.7.0 is the last version we'll see. And 4.6.2 is the last useful one. In addition to the MapInstall problem you can see in the release notes that 4.7.0 removes a ton of functionality.

...ken...
  • I "upgraded" from Basecamp 4.6.2 to Basecamp 4.7.0 a few days ago, and today I used Basecamp to install the latest 26 May version of the Velomap Australia-Oceania map to our GPS units (Edge 1030 and Edge Explore 1000). Installs to both GPS units completed successfully according to Basecamp, but when I looked at the map files while the units were still connected to my PC, I could see that the maps on both units were only 17.8Mb in size, whereas they should have been a bit over 2Gb in size. When I disconnected the GPS units, let them boot up, and had a look under activity profiles for installed maps, both units reported that the Velomap was installed and available, but when I started recording of an activity and went to the map screen, the only detail available was from the small scale world base map.

I've never had any problems installing Velomaps with Basecamp 4.6.2, so I uninstalled Basecamp 4.7, re-installed Basecamp 4.6.2, and ran the installs again to the GPS units. This time the maps installed at the expected size and I could see correct map details during a GPS activity. The Velomap wasn't reinstalled onto the PC after reverting Basecamp, as Basecamp automatically detected the already installed map, so the map source files from which the install to the GPS was done were identical for both versions of Basecamp.

Another tick for Garmin's wonderful SQA processes.

Hi! I am exactly in the same situation, sticking to Basecamp v4.6.2 because otherwise I wouldn't be able to upload Velomap maps to my Garmin Oregon 750.

Although my (Windows 10) platform is working OK at the moment, it is becoming more obsolete every day only because of this issue.

Meanwhile, my database of tracks and routes grow bigger and bigger, meaning that I might face a painful migration process into another tool in the future.

I read about a fix that has been released for OS but not available for Windows.

Does anyone know whether Garmin are aware of this issue and if they are making any plans to solve this problem?

Thank you!
  • I have had similar issues with City Nav North America. For that, and other reasons, I've stuck with 4.6.2. Not that I use Basecamp for much anyway. Garmin's older Mapsource continues to function quite well on my Windows 10 systems and still does the majority of what I want. And I find it much easier to use for most things.

...ken...
  • Does anyone know whether Garmin are aware of this issue and if they are making any plans to solve this problem?

Yes they are aware, but development in BaseCamp stopped a while back. The only updates have been to comply with GDPR rules and produce 64 bit versions, whether this issue will be seen as important enough to do something I don't know, but I'm planning to stick with 4.6.2 which, given that MapSource still works many years after it was declared obsolete, should do me for many years yet.