BaseCamp 4.6.2 is available

We've just released a new version of BaseCamp. You can download it at http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435. Updating from within the app will be available shortly.

We've interacted with a number of users that helped us track down some pesky bugs. Thank you so much for your assistance. We appreciate it very much.

• Added support for downloading preview imagery for BirdsEye Select.
  • Added support for displaying DEM shading for some cycling map products.
  • Added support for track metadata from FIT files.
  • Improved entry of position coordinates on the Waypoint Properties dialog.
  • Improved performance of some track editing operations on the map.
  • Updated the Czech translation for 'road'.
  • Updated route avoidance settings to be more like PNDs.
  • Fixed BaseCamp incorrectly showing certain maps on card or device as locked.
  • Fixed route via departure dates not always showing as expected on the Route Properties dialog.
  • Fixed routes created in BaseCamp not displaying lane assist and junction views on some nuvi devices.
  • Fixed geocaches not correctly showing as found on Oregon devices.
  • Fixed search issue in some maps.
  • Fixed issue canceling route calculations.
  • Fixed out of memory crashes related to the undo buffer growing too large.
  • Fixed incorrect total space shown in the Device Information dialog for some nuvi and zumo devices.
  • Fixed Send To Device and Receive From Device dialogs sometimes not allowing the user to select a device.
  • Fixed an issue with BaseCamp prompting that old software updates are available.
  • Fixed other various bugs.

Addendum: we've just released 4.6.2. This is a bug fix release which addresses a common crash.

• Fixed an issue displaying route elevation graphs
  • The BaseCamp help links should be resolved soon.
  • BC still not works with a surface pro. After few clicks or time there is no respond and you have to kill BC.
    Any ideas?

We have seen issues in the past with the graphics drivers on older versions of the Surface, but I'm not sure if this is an issue with the Surface 4. Have you tried launching the "2D Only" version of BaseCamp from the Start Menu?
  • Please remove the dependency on Windows Media Player.

People who use one of the "N versions" of Windows do not have any WMP version installed, and it is pretty ridiculous to have to install that thing just to use BaseCamp.

BaseCamp doesn't directly need Windows Media Player. However Microsoft choose to distribute support for MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) with Windows Media Player. All newer automotive devices and the Monterra rely on MTP for communication with the PC. I'm still trying to determine if Windows 10 "N" includes MTP even without WMP.
  • I update to 4.6.2 today and found when I zoom in the map, it can not show correctly.

Can you tell me what version you upgraded from?

You can cause the map to be fully redrawn by doing this:
    • Go to View->Toolbars and check the "Detail Level" toolbar
    • Change the detail level to any other detail level, you can then change it back to the original setting

If you still have a map drawing issue, can you provide the following information to me?
    • What map product (including version number) that you are using?
    • Is this a desktop installation or is the map on a device or card?
  • The new 4.6.2 has at least 2 problems according to track properties:

1. When selecting 2 entries, the minimum and maximum speed are incorrect. Also the average speed is incorrect. Min and max altitude however are correct.

2. After selecting any line, you cannot return to the properties overview. Since the update clicking in the upper part of the window doesn't work anymore.

I can reproduce both of these issues, thank you for reporting them.
  • Start point N51° 08.221' W0° 52.553'
    End point N49° 09.718' E5° 23.196'
    Map City Navigator Europe NT 2016.2
    Select activity driving, faster time, untick U-Turn avoidance
    Create route - a ridiculous route will be produced (see snippet attached)
    Choose shorter distance - get sensible route
    BaseCamp 4.6.2
    Windows 7

Sorry, no snippet attached - way too difficult. If you can't reproduce I'll find a way to show you an image
  • BaseCamp doesn't directly need Windows Media Player. However Microsoft choose to distribute support for MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) with Windows Media Player. All newer automotive devices and the Monterra rely on MTP for communication with the PC. I'm still trying to determine if Windows 10 "N" includes MTP even without WMP.

I set my GPSr's to mass storage to get away from MTP problems. That way my favorite file manger can see the device.
    • Added support for displaying DEM shading for some cycling map products.

How does one get this to work?

Edit:

It appears to work "by magic" if you select the map from the list at the left.

Nice.
  • This upgrade has broken waypoints. I am no longer able to edit waypoint properties. I have downgraded back to 4.5.2 for now.
  • I have no problems editing waypoints in 4.6.2.

I can't edit waypoints on the internal storage of the GPS (Zumo 550 and Nuvi 1490) via Basecamp and I have never been able to.

Perhaps you could give us some more information.