This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Base Camp will NOT recognize a computer connected Zumo XT even though Garmin Express DOES recognize the Zumo XT

The more I fight with connecting a brand new Garmin Zumo XT to Garmin Basecamp (Mac version) software I can't help but think either the Zumo XT is a poor quality product and/or the Basecamp software is in some stage of Beta version.

I've spent 7 hours today fighting with what feels like a substandard glitchy product.  My new Macbook with Basecamp recognized the ZumoXT on Monday but not Tuesday.  And I bought this as an "upgrade" to my Garmin Montana.  HUGE MISTAKE

So I'm looking for assistance with others who have experiance the same thing....

Garmin Express recognizes the Zumo XT when I connect it to the Macbook.  Garmin Basecamp does NOT.

So I RESET the Zumo XT back to factory settings.  SAME ISSUE AS ABOVE, and I've lost my most recent backcountry trips, tracks and routes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I've been a faithful Garmin product user (boats, planes, cars and dirtbikes) for over 20 years and this is the first Garmin product that feels buggy and overpriced.

HELP please.

• I'm having the same issue.  Just started researching....will let you know if I find anything helpful.

• Just read this about Garmin ZumoXT and Mac computers: 

"Additionally, when connected to a Mac, these devices will only be recognized or detected by one application at a time.

For example, if Garmin Express is open and has detected the device, opening Garmin BaseCamp at the same time will result in BaseCamp being unable to find the device until both applications are completely closed and the desired application is re-opened."

.....But, when I closed both Garmin Express and Basecamp, then restarted Basecamp and attached ZumoXT to computer the Zumo automatically booted up Garmin Express.  So that wasn't very helpful.

• I uninstalled Garmin Express and it made no difference.  Garmin Basecamp doesn't recognize the Zuma XT connected to Mac

• Folks are using the XT with BaseCamp without problems. Ensure Express isn't set to open automatically when a device is connected. Once you've done so restart your Mac.  If the XT still isn't connecting check this FAQ 

support.garmin.com/.../

• PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!   Spoke with Garmin tech support and over an hour later we solved it...

I am using a new Macbook Pro with the latest version of Big Sur

1.  Quit Garmin Basecamp and Garmin Express if they are running.

2.  Right Click on the black triangle on the top right corner of your display...on the ribbon bar, choose Preferences and UNCHECK both options.

3.  With the Zumo XT DISCONNECTED, restart the Mac

4.  After the computer is up and running, RECONNECT the Zumo XT to the usb port.  Select OK and Continue (USB connection).

5.  Start Gamin Basecamp and close the dashboard window.

6.  Grab an ice cold beer, an Old Fashion, or a glass of wine (or all three) and watch as you Zumo XT data begins loading into Basecamp.

Be safe out there!!

Cheers,

Gord Harris

• Happy for your success and I like the celebrations....unfortunately for me no such luck yet following the steps.  The ZumoXT still says "Garmin.com/express" although Garmin Express no longer auto-boots on computer so that may be good.  BaseCamp has yet to find the XT (although it had in the past prior to operating software updates), and any attempt to work in BaseCamp results in a spinning beachball for about 3 minutes.  Pulled out a PC last night and loaded all through there.  I'm a longtime MAC user but worked a lot easier on PC.

• So what was changed? What was the root cause?

Some years not so long ago BaseCamp was sloppy wit’s file name case sensitivity, in that it looked specifically for /Volumes/Garmin/. Some Garmin GPSs mount as GARMIN, some are Garmin. If your root file system on the Mac was created case sensitive BaseCamp could not fully see the GPS because the name did not match case. The guys who wrote Express were smarter. Express worked as expected.

To this day BaseCamp still gets confused by Time Capsule shares and wants to perform the misguided design defect automatic scan of those volumes for Garmin stuff, as if it might be an SD card. But only if your root file system is case sensitive. If insensitive it is hard coded to ignore Time Capsule.

• Open Express>Preferences then make sure both both boxes are unchecked ("Always keep Garmin Express running..." and "Automatically launch Garmin Express..."). If Express is running then it won't allow the connection to BC to complete.

• I'm using a PC but still Basecamp crashes when I connect my Zumo XT.  Express boxes are unchecked.  I have restarted everything numerous times.  I've reinstalled basecamp and Express twice. The only way to get maps is to copy and paste into the GPX folder of the XT, but even then some routes won't load.  I'm going on a cross country trip in May and I need this fixed.   Maybe I should try it on my wifes newer PC Laptop.   Any other ideas? 

• Same issue here . Trying simultaneously on a Mac (on the Mac it does not recognize the XT, so different problem). What I did so far on the Windows PC was to install the map (through javawa.nl) on the hard drive, but still it freezes after it does recognize the XT. It has 8GB intern memory. So curious to see if there are any solutions coming by here (since the above suggestions did also not work for me).