This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Runs extremely slow in Big Sur

Basecamp worked fine before I switched to the Big Sur Beta.

Now it runs extremely slow and I get the beach ball every time I click anything.

• Seems that Garmin isn't interested in further development of BC. So we need some alternative... By my opinion most close by functionality is QMapShack. If Garmin will discontinue BC development usage of they devices becomes close to nonsense. Personally i'm seriously thinking about substitute solutions for software and hardware. Present situation with total ignorance of customers needs isn't comfortable at all... 

• Just upgraded to macOS Big Sur v 11.0.1. I can add that BaseCamp v 4.8.10 runs very slowly here, too... 30-60 seconds of spinning beach ball at every click. Normal in-app menu item says software is up to date. All of my data is there, and I'm hoping that performance improves once Mac indexing and the initial v 11 backup is complete. However, it definitely needs an update from Garmin. Soon. I'm wondering if anyone in Garmin's office even knew about Big Sur...

• I'm seeing the same thing on macOS 11.0.1 Big Sur. I called Garmin US support and was told I'm the first person to report this issue. They opened a case, and said they'd get back to me. As all my other programs are running just fine, I doubt letting the Mac reindex and backup will have any significant impact. 

I suggest anyone who's experiencing this problem call Garmin and report the issue. The more problems they get, the more likely they are to put resources on a fix. 

• Same issue, naturally. I think I could switch to the web platform and forget about basecamp, but the requirement, for me, involves selling an expensive Colorado 680 I just bought, and purchase a 700, at almost 100$ Canadian dollars. Crazy. Looking for alternate hardware and software.

• Excrutiantingly slow, basically unusable. Why would Garmin let users hit a wall like this with so much time available. And please, don't blame it on COVID and resources. We are not idiots, which is what Garmin seems to be assuming.

No excuses, get your act together.

• Once you will have found a solution to plan and send the routes to a Zumo, please let us know.

• not only slow!!!! stopped!!

• Thanks, pdonoghu. Yes, after indexing and backup made overnight, not much improvement. The beach ball spins for a *slightly* shorter period of time, but still for every click and map or menu move... and totally unacceptable.

I thought I'd post these numbers, as it took a bit of searching to find them. (Is Garmin doing its best to hide from its customers??):

Garmin Support
    USA: 913-397-8200, 1-800-800-1020, 855-607-2536
    Canada: 866-429-9296
    UK: 0808 238 0000
    Europe: +44 (0) 870 850 1241

• Same here, Big Sur 11.0.1 on Macbook Pro, Basecamp 4.8.10. Garmin, please do something.

• I am running production Big Sur 11.0.1. Basecamp 4.8.10 is not useable. Very, very, very slow, beachball spins for minutes after every action. I own 5 Garmin GPS devices, four of which rely on Basecamp. Garmin, please do something, or at least let us know if and when you will solve the problem. For now I would recommend all my friends who are considering GPS decvie purchases to stay away from Garmin.