Garmin VIRB Edit Won't Work With GoPro

I've been really excited about using Garmin VIRB Edit for cycling data overlays on my races....

After I downloaded the software to my 2019 MacBook Pro and then uploaded my GoPro Hero 5 Black footage to VIRB Edit, it kept asking me to optimize the videos. The videos would not optimize and if I tried to cancel, the software would timeout. So next time I tried skipping the optimization step but then the video won't play at all, which means I can't overlay any of the G-Metrix.

So I deleted the software from my computer and downloaded the software again. Same exact issues.

This morning I called Garmin Support about the issue and here was my response. "We do not offer any support for third party video files." Great, thanks. So helpful. It's an mp4 file, the same file type from a VIRB but she said there's other unique things about the file format it reads which is why the GoPro files won't work.

Every single YouTube tutorial about using Garmin VIRB Edit for cycling data overlays is with a GoPro. Granted, they're several years old so maybe Garmin changed something in their software recently to make it impossible for cameras other than VIRB to function properly in their editing software.

Super frustrating. Has anyone else recently downloaded VIRB Edit and got it to work properly with GoPro files?

• Which GoPro are you using? Are the files HEVC? Or are they H264? I have been round and round getting Virb Edit to work on my 16" M1 MacBook Pro and it's definitely doable there, so it should be for you too. Shoot me a message if you need help avoiding the landmines

What Garmin said about unique things in the file format are not true.

• Hi @cycleanalyze, can you elaborate more on how you export files from gopro software (codec and analysis) and what kind of telemetry files you are using afterwards? Also, I seem to be getting great until this point, seeing the 360 video (although not in 4k in the edit mode of Virb), stitching the GPS data but then cannot do the export as I get an error message. I am using also an M1 macbook pro 14'' 

• Sure I record in 2.7k, 60fps, HEVC+264 setting.

I copy all the 4gb files to a folder on the Mac, then use the program losslesscut to join the files into one. Then I delete all the 4gb files, leaving me with the big long huge video file.

Then I open virbedit and create a new file, import the video using import only, and optimize later. Then I add the GPS file, also located on the hard drive. Since I start the gopro and the garmin at the same time, I don't need to adjust where on the ride I started the file BUT I do every time have to hit the G-Metrix Sync button and drag the slider to the start of the file. Every time, I don't know why it's this way.

I stay in G Metrix on the left side, go to templates, click the template I made, and do a quick sanity check to make sure the data looks right.

After that, I hit export, and adjust the quality, and wait for the finished product.

• thanks! I think the critical thing is to record (or code later in H.264). I manage to figure this out just now and I think it is useful for GoPro Max users who do not have the HEVC+264 option.

I will post in a separate thread

• Yes when I first got the hero 10 I was doing only HEVC and could not export. Got a little red eyed for a bit until I learned there was a way to do it.