How would you have us improve HomePort?

If there's something that you don't like about HomePort, or a feature that you want, reply here.

Simple changes and bug fixes can be made relatively quickly.

Changes to the user interface take more time but can happen more quickly if users request those features here in this forum.
  • I would like to see some compatibility between all products. I use BlueChart on an iPad to create routes and waypoints in the comfort of my home. Then I upload them wirelessly to my Garmin 7215's (nice!). However, to get them to Homeport, so I can edit/revise them in my office, I have to save them to an SD card on the boat, then import the SD card in the office/Homeport. VERY BURDENSOME!!.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but that's the only way I know of to get BlueChart/7215 routes into my Homeport.
  • I use BlueChart Mobile on my iPad, which is very nice by the way, but I would like to be able to plan trips using HomePort on my MacBook Pro and export to BlueChart on my iPad (and vice-versa).
  • It would be great to be able to convert route waypoints into regular waypoints where you could change their names etc. It's a pain to have to create the waypoints first and then Create Route from Waypoints.
  • Add a column to the detail data list with a Count of the waypoints selected in a particular list. I manage over 5000 waypoints for my boats but my 4210 only holds 1500. So I have to select waypoints for the area i am fishing and create a list. Here in the keys we have hawks channel, reef, offshore and bay and unfortunately I cant get all of my numbers on my machine.
  • I would like to be able to export the depth info to gpx files when exporting...
    Seriously how hard can it be?

I got a gpsmap 721sx and i honestly did not expect this to be a problem when i bought the unit. this is very important to me since i make a lot of my own maps and i do not want to be forced to buy a lowrance unit just because of this.

/Anders
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 9 years ago
    deptlogging

Homeport version 2.0.1 does not export track log depth data when choosing either CSV Text or Tabbed Text as the export file format. It does include a Depth column heading in both those file formats but no data. However, it does export track log depth data (though only in meters) when choosing GPX as the export file format. It would be nice to have it export depth data in all the file formats and in units consistent with those displayed in the Track Properties Window.

I would like to be able to export the depth info to gpx files when exporting...
    Seriously how hard can it be?

I got a gpsmap 721sx and i honestly did not expect this to be a problem when i bought the unit. this is very important to me since i make a lot of my own maps and i do not want to be forced to buy a lowrance unit just because of this.

/Anders

Recently bought me a gpsmap 721xs myself, and after my first test run with sonarlogging I experienced the same problems as above. My initial response was that this must be solvable, but after lots of Google searching all I can find is that Garmins RSD files doesn't support export of Depth information which makes this unit useless for me.

My only purpose for buying a chartplotter was to sonarmap some local lakes, that I guess never would get mapped officially by garmin or others. Garmin sales-man told me that this unit supported logging, but I guess I should have done more research on exactly what those logs could be used for and rather bought me a lowrance.

If you do a google search yourself you would see more people requesting this, could it be fixed?
  • I would like to be able to hide individual waypoints, tracks, and routes.
  • I would like to see the tidal direction arrows when zoomed out to allow better cross channel planning / working tide gates. At present you need to be zoomed in way too far in HomePort unlike on the plotter.

I'd also like a slider to advance time to see how the tide changes over a period of 48 hours.
  • I use HomePort on my Mac (Yosemite now), BlueChart app on my iOS devices. I have a Montana 600 that I use as my main chart plotter on my boat and a quatix. I bought BlueChart maps for the iOS app because I saw that the quatix could wirelessly sync with he BlueChart app, which it does. However, I can't figure out a way to get my Montana tracks into BlueChart. It would be great if HomePort and BlueChart could talk to each other, even if it meant just being able to manually send a track from Montana -> HomePort -> BlueChart. I really don't like have multiple tools for the job (HomePort and BlueChart) and for Garmin products not to all work together in some way.
  • Improve HomePort Performance on OS X (Mac)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE spend some effort into improving HomePort performance on OS X (Mac)! It is so frustrating to use HomePort on a top of the line multi-core Mac with apps like Google Earth being so responsive even when drawing lots of 3D and visualization data, while HomePort just is slow as molasses in almost anything you do with it. BlueChart on iOS is wonderful, so I know there are developers at Garmin that know how to write great, responsive software. Can you PLEASE put some effort into HomePort, or abandon the codebase entirely and start from scratch and come out with an OS X tool that complements the responsiveness and features of BlueChart on iOS? I can't tell you how many times I curse HomePort when I'm trying to work with my tracks and waypoints after a race. I am really close to looking for non-Garmin software, and that might mean looking into non-Garmin hardware for my boat and my wrist as well.

Can the HomePort team PLEASE let the executive team at Garmin know that this is a painful product to use and completely tarnishes the Garmin brand? Or maybe Garmin doesn't care since this issue of HomePort sluggishness has been around for a number of years. Maybe sending them a few receipts from a Raymarine or B&G purchase might wake them up and have them deal with this problem.:mad: