ETA Calculation

Having rode 'movies' a number of times I feel that the ETA timing is extremely 'fluid'. Going uphill when putting watts down brings the time down considerably but flying down a hill at top speed but little wattage tells me that I've got hours to finish the course. Can the ETA be linked to speed or something that is more accurate for most of the course?

• What about riding a flat course a the start that ends with a steep climb?  Or a course that starts with a long steep descent followed by either a flat or uphill ending?  Or a course that starts with a steep climb and ends with a long descent?  Just seems like these are variables that are hard to deal with unless you have a fancy algorithm, a bunch of data, and do a lot of calculations.  Not sure it is worth it.  If you are really interested in is seeing how you are doing compared to a prior ride, then you can use yourself as an opponent.

• Mike just now ETA is based on instantaneous power, something no human can sustain, so the number will jump about like crazy making it utterly pointless....thats the only issue with it.. like most riders will be able to do their 170watts on the flat & on the hill & probably on the descent also....but they simply need to use a rolling average for the calculation....this will make ETA  100% usable as a metric for everyone (" Im going roughly this hard & thats roughly when I will finish")....ETA based on even 10-second or longer rolling average would result in a clearer understanding of just how hard you are going, resulting in a very stable much more accurate guess of a ETA....nothing complicated here at all. It was obviously originally developed by someone thats never used a power meter.