Vivoactive 3 and HRM Pro Plus Activity tracking

hi,

I have a Vivoactive 3 and just purchased HRM Pro Plus. I was not aware that my watch would not link to the HRM Pro Plus for the swim the same way it does for running and cycling. Bad on me! 

What is the best way of using both items? The activity logged through the watch feeds into Garmin Connect and I can see the same being uploaded separately via the HRM Pro Plus. Is there double counting going on? I noticed after my last swim the activity recorded as 350 kcal but then my 'active' calories on the app jumped by another 250-300 which I'm guessing comes from the increased HR recorded by HRM Pro Plus. is there a chance other stats are being double counted?

many thanks,

Eva

• (Only) during an activity you should see the heartrate measured by the HRM Pro Plus on the watch (the green sensors are actually off). When you start the activity it should notify you of the HRM Pro sensor being detected. That heart rate is used in the Connect app for the activity. This provided you connected the HRM Pro as external sensor to the watch of course. There should not be double counting as the watch would use the HRM to measure heartrate. I wonder if you sync both results somewhere to ? Most apps detect the duplication or only use the fitness watch and ignore the simultaneous other devices. 

The problem with swimming though is that bluetooth does not work well in the water. I have had questions from others on this and typically they were not satisfied with the result. 

Bluetooth devices don’t function well in water. The range is limited underwater and just a few inches under the surface. The low-power system means that the signal goes far but not very deep.

www.metroleague.org/.../

• Thanks for responding.

I added the HRM to the watch as an external Heart rate device. The manual for the HRM pro Plus says that the Bluetooth connection will restore once I am no longer submerged. Would it make a difference if I kept the activity going for a couple of minutes once I'm outside of the pool?

Whe I bout the HRM pro Plus I was hoping it would sync with the watch activity for swimming the way it does for running activity i.e. shows me how many minutes I done in each of the HR zones. Then I read up this is not an option for vivo active 3. 

I'm trying to figure out what's the best way of using the two devices now as I'm not sure they connected properly ( not ruling out user error here!)

• I have no experience with swimming, what I know is that the watch just reads the heartrate real time, it does not collect data from the past. So I guess it will reconnect when  it gets a bluetooth connection (never been able to try it though) but you probably get a static reading while it is disconnected or it tries to use the internal sensor (probably based on a timeout, I cannot try that at home ; edit :I read that it disables the wrist sensor since the last updates ;-). The heart rate zones are just missing in the swimming activity. I was wondering if some app or datafield in connect iq could add that.

you can try to add https://apps.garmin.com/nl-NL/apps/79d55484-c0d2-4047-b7ee-72d051d86e14 as a data field to see if that would register the zones for instance (as field 3 perhaps). You need a datafield that also syncs with the activity, takes a bit too much time to figure it out now, have a look.

• Hi Eva,

apologies for not having an answer to your question but rather seeking an answer to my question :-). I have a vivoactive 3 and I'm looking to buy a HRM. I'm a runner & cyclist (both indoor & outdoor). Initial thought was to go for the HRM Dual, but the Pro might offer more for the feature use. On the Garmin website, the vivoactive 3 is not listed as a compatible device for the HRM Pro Plus but I have the impression on your post that it is compatible for running & cycling?

many Thanks

Deniz

• the vivoactive 3 is not listed as a compatible device for the HRM Pro Plus but I have the impression on your post that it is compatible for running & cycling?

It is, but it won't give you anything beyond what the far cheaper HRM-Dual can provide.

•  I would even consider a cheaper alternative like the Fitcent device (https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B09G95XX1B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1) which does wonders and connects fine to the vivoactive (bluetooth and ANT+)