Vivoactive 3 sudden battery drain

Since about one week I am experiencing very fast battery drain on my Vivoactive 3 (a full discharge in about 8 hours, with no activities started and no GPS usage)

I have done a full reset, removed all watch faces and downloaded apps, but not improvement.

I am running software 8.20 which apparently is the latest one available

Shall I conclude that battery has lost its capacity and it is time for battery (or watch) renewal after 4 or 5 years of good performance, or is there anything else that can be attempted ? I would expect a natural battery capacity decrease, I am just puzzled as the fast battery drain started suddenly as previously I was still getting a few days, depending on GPS usage.

Thanks

Marco 

• My VA3 is hopeless. I can charge to 100%, turn the device off, return the next morning and the battery will be ZERO or sometimes, if I'm lucky (!) it will be around 40%

I don't use any features except for GPS which I only use once a week for 90 minutes.

I switch the device off after EVERY activity in an attempt to try and maintain some battery charge.

All software is up to date (8.20) and each week I face a new software update when I link to Garmin Connect. Then when I switch the watch back on it says "Timezone has been updated".

Such a shame, I've tried all resets and all of the suggested troubleshooting.

• I had the same problem, going from 100% charged to 0 in one hour. This is how i solved this issue. After reading all the forums and not finding an answer that made sense, I realized that the battery was being drained due to a short circuit. With a Q-tip and soaking it with alcohol i cleaned the charging port on the back of the watch, thinking that body lotions, body sweat or sunscreen accumulated in this area could be causing the short circuit. I was right, after doing this my watch started working fine again. That was one and half years ago. I do a maintenance cleaning every three months and never had that problem again. 

• I am facing the same problem. I called the local product support and they mentioned that it is not possible to do a replacement or to check on the battery as this model has been discontinued and there is no more servicing available. Besides the battery issue, everything works fine so I am reluctant to get a new watch.