This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Significant battery drain for Vivoactive 3 after 7.70 firmware update

I am not sure when exactly my Vivoactive 3 updated to version 7.70. But it was sometime recently. And for the last few days I am noticing that the battery life of my Vivoactive 3 has gone down significantly! I am only getting about 1 day of battery life on a full charge, sometimes even less than 24 hours!

My watch is more than 2.5 years old and when I measured my battery life a month or two ago, I was easily getting more than 5 days on a full charge with heart rate measurement on. And I believe I was getting around 5 days on a full charge even a few weeks ago. But this week I am suddenly noticing less than a day of battery! I am very upset with this sudden and massive decrease in battery life. Looking at the forums here, it seems like many people are experiencing poor battery life with the latest update. I am very disappointed with Garmin for this poor quality update and I really hope they fix it so that my watch is usable again! It is such a great device and I am upset that bad software updates may be causing such massive problems! Please fix it!

• I certainly understand the frustration. This has been escalated and I can provide this feedback! Thank you!

• Thank you for escalating this and looking into this matter. It will definitely be a good idea to collect as much information from the customers and give it to the engineers. I also urge you to reach out to customer service or whomever internally and ask if they can send the returned watches to the engineers so that they can test the issue.

I must say, despite this issue I am glad that Garmin is trying. Software can be hard, and as someone who works in the software industry I sympathize here. If the software updates are causing issues for 100% of Vivoactive 3 devices owned by customers and still Garmin is not doing anything about it, then we all have legitimate reasons to be angry. But this forum is a small sample of those who are affected. For all I know only a small portion of devices are getting affected. Such kind of strange bugs are the hardest to solve and so it is very understandable that Garmin may not be able to figure it out.

Overall I am much more happy with the quality of Garmin's watches compared to say... Fitbit.

• I very much appreciate this kind feedback. 

• Thanks AmberD, please keep me updated and use all the data from my profile, activities or whatever if it helps to bring the watch back to life with at least 2 full days. Though I don't belive it will happen

• Hi, my vivoactive 3 is pretty new, I have it since Jannuary 2021. I use it only on weekends, from Friday morning till Monday morning. During the weekend I have to recharge acording to the level of usage, normaly after about 36 hours. On Monday morning i usualy recharge it up to 100%, shut it down and restart it again on Friday. From the beginning of the year till about February it came back with about 60% charged when I restart in on Fryday. During March, it came back with about 90% charged, and since end of March it restarts with only 0%, totally empty. I have not changed any settings (for my knowledge).

• I think I have a solution for everyone (Garmin rep please block your ears).  I'm 10 hours in and down to 50% battery (this includes 3 resets and 2 firmware upgrades.)  I have found you can download the 7.54 beta software, in there it contains the 7.50 firmware downgrade (because it's beta software). If you do a reset, upload the 7.50 file onto the garmin watch and rename it as instructed, restart the watch it will downgrade to 7.50 firmware,   I did another reset here too. I then synced my watch back up again,  30min later the watch re-downloaded the 7.7 firmware update and re-applied it to the watch again, at this point I did another reset for good measure although it may not be necessary.    

• Hi Leethal,

Can't thank you enough for that! I found the firmware 7.54B link too.

Folks, you can find it here if you want to try that out:https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=13009#Instruct. Can't guarantee anything but hey ... it's either that or transform my watch into a paperweight.

I will give it a shot and let you know if I see any differences in energy consumption behaviour.

Funny how the community here is doing the support haha. 

Cheers,

• Alright, I gave it a shot and it doesn't seem to be working for me (battery almost fully drained overnight) but it was worth trying.

• Yep me too.  Allowed me to downgrade, then upgrade again to 7.70, but only 17 hours of battery life unfortunately. 

• Update after 3 days, the Restore Defaults reset still seems to have fixed the battery drain problem, as well as the elevation overestimation.  I have not yet restored the Meditation App, will continue to monitor for at least a week before changing anything.