This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Watch Broken Where the Band Connects To The Case

18 months after purchase I basically have a fitness tracker that I have to tape to my wrist or pin to my shirt…Sitting at my desk the other day my VAM3 just fell of my wrist.  Thought the band just came undone.  Nope one of the 4 band contact points is broken off.  After closer inspection there are small cracks on the remaining 3 points of contact.  Sorry but, these devices are way too expensive to be rendered useless after 18 months of wear.  While I wear it nearly 24 hours a day, it hasn’t been abused, I sit at a desk all day long, run with it most mornings/evenings and take it on the occasional swim.  I’ve had cheap plastic Timex watches that have lasted literally a decades!

Very disappointed because this watch did everything I wanted a watch to do, except last.  I reached out to Garmin via messenger as others suggested, no response yet…Apparently this isn’t unique to my watch or even the VAM3, there are many complaints from customers having the same issue on Vivoactives and Forerunner models.  I hope they fix this flaw and make a watch that will actually last, until then I won’t be buying another Garmin.

• Garmin sent me a refurbished replacement due to this specific issue - very happy with the product and their service

• Garmin sent me a refurbished replacement due to this specific issue - very happy with the product and their service

• So this is apparently a known issue. My Garmin 245 Music blew the band yesterday while I was getting ready for work. The band mount cracked, and shifted the grommet that holds the watch band pins. When I took a closer look I could see hair line cracks on all four of the mounts. It was just a matter of time before this happened. I should mention that I've had the watch for 23 months and I'm not hard on it at all. I wear it 24 hours a day, I work an office job and I use it primarily for running, walking, yoga and some swimming.

After checking this forum, I decided to give them a call. Right away they offered a replacement. I could either send in my current broken watch and they would send a recertified replacement after they received it, or I could pay a deposit fee, they would send the replacement first and then I could send my broken watch when I receive the replacement. I decided on paying the deposit as I am training for a 1/2 marathon right now and I really like the features the 245 has. 

Garmin's customer service was really good, I was impressed by how helpful whey were. Thank you to the forum members for recommending I call in. 

• I just had this happen again; I have had this happen to 3 of my garmin watches i've owned...just so sad that they can't make a product that is not defective and then won't give you a new one to replace this one. not going to buy garmin much longer if this is the best that they can do.

• so even though they plan to replace the watch, i am going to probably go with another product. this is sad cause they have a decnet product but not good enough if the housing falls apart for no reason and it is an ongoing problem. I hope that they can figure out why

• Mine broke during my holidays and I contacted Garmin Support. Even though it is officially out of guarantee they will replace it with a refurbished one. Too bad this is a construction failure, but great appreciation of the service supplied. Replacement was without question or debate, so good job Garmin.

Jusr received the refurbished one and it looks brand new. Hope I get more than 2 years of life on this one. 

• I had the same last weekend and after reading this chain contacted support. I was surprised when they said as mine is > 2 years old they are charging €117 to replace with a refurbished model. Has anyone else been changed for their replacement or is that just happening in Ireland?

I'm pretty reluctant to pay for a refurb that could break again anytime due to this flaw.

• It might be related to local law. In NL there is a difference between ' normal wear'  and design/production flaws. The latter category typically extends to the expected lifetime of a product rather than the guarantee period as stated by the supplier. Anyway, they gave me a free refurbished since I told them it was obviously the latter category since there was this nice forum with people mentioning the same problem. Yes, I run the risk of the same flaw in another couple of years, so I would not spend 117 Euro on a refurbished one. 

• Thanks for the reply, may I ask, was your watch over or under the two years old when you contacted them in NL? I've emailed Garmin support after your comment as the online support was very dismissive. 

The more I think about it, asking someone to pay €117 for a refurbished version of a discontinued watch with a known weakness is almost insulting TBH. I'll definitely not put any more money into the 645 range, thanks for the input.

• I bought it in june 2019, so yes, older than 2 years.