This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPS tracking inaccurate on Vivoactive3

I use a vívoactive 3 (Software: 6.60.0.0) that I purchased a month ago to track my running. It is inaccurate by over 0.45 miles on a 6 mile run. Attached image shows how a linear curbside route is being tracked on and off the route. This is a downtown area and has a few tall structures but the map is all over the place. The entire reason of owning a GPS watch over a fitness tracker is to get an accuracy on my running stats. Disappointing. Is their a way to fix this? Am I doing anything wrong here?

• You can try turning on the two systems: Activity's Settings -> GPS: GPS + GLONASS.

But near high buildings this still can be off track. It depends on weather too.

• Am having the exact same problem. Every mile in the real world is about 0.95 miles in the Garmin world. Did you manage to get it sorted? A lot of my routes can be shaded with trees, I think it’s these sections which cause the inaccuracies.

• The watch does not read the GPS position continuously. The final track you see on the map is just an interpolation through some key points. By default most Garmin watches use so called Smart Recording. It records key points where the device changes direction, speed, heart rate or elevation. It may introduce plenty of inacuracy, but it conisderably saves the battery power.

Additionally, the theoretical and practical limits of accuracy of GPS is ~1 (for military use) or 5m-15m (for civilian use). In urban environment or under vegetation, the accuracy may be even worse.

If you don't mind the higher power consumption, you can activate GPS+GLONASS or GPS+Galileo for better accuracy. And you can also change the GPS reading mode from the "Smart Recording" to "Every Second Recording" (it will also drain your battery faster),.

You can read more about GPS in Garmin watches, and find how to tune the settings, in this document: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=xQvHXbfaT27Zr4hxZDvjv5

• Thanks. I have the same problem. I just made this change. I'll test it tomorrow.

• GPS accuracy: Vivoactive HR > Vivoactive 3 > Vivoactive 4

So... The Vivoactive 5 will only sporadically display the correct city your in Slight smile