This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Poor Elevation readings

Hi,

My VA3 drives me crazy. Altimeter readings are very poor...

Maximum elevation by Garmin is 2,033 meters when the Banikov summit is 2,178 m (7,146 ft) (I've had 3 day hiking in Tatras).

Is there any way to improve readings? My previous watch (Suunto Ambit) was much, much better whaen it comes to elevation readings...

It's only my watch or just a common issue?

I use GPS onlly, and wait 30 sec. after GSP fix before start activity (manual says barometric sensor calibrates itself...)

• Just came back from two weeks of hiking in Banff and Jasper in Alberta and I also noticed the discrepancies/deficiencies in my VA3M elevation readings vs the heights posted on trails, in Alltrails etc. Given what you say, mtsarpilot,, is there any point or anything to be gained by going through the correction procedure in Connect?

• Hi MHC48,

You should use the correction - it brings it back to reality...

• Is there a software solution to get elevation also from satellites?

I got Ambit 3 Peak and elevation was correct - combined elevation and barometer readings.

Manual correction on GC doesn't help - elevation is much more helpful when you are on the way up...

• Yeah, why not to manually set the elevation?

• Yes, there are 2 things you should do:  

1. Calibrate the altimeter before you begin your activity.  That the way to at least get to a reasonably accurate starting point.  To do this, select your GPS activity, let the watch acquire GPS, then leave it in this intermediate state for at least 30 seconds before again clicking the button to start the activity.

2. Once the activity is uploaded to Garmin Connect, select the "Elev Corrections" to "Enabled".  This will use the topographic elevations associated with your GPS track instead of the recorded elevation.  If your activity was long with a lot of elevation change, you'll find the correction may be as much a 20 to 25%

• Isn't there any way to enable elevation correct, in the connect app?

• Thanks, I will try it.

• Yep - problem with all VA3s. Worse in heat and humidity, which is not great for those of us who live in subtropical climates. Support are absolutely unapologetic when raising the issue with them. I've got to the point where I just ignore elevation readings and get on with running.

• Well, my wife is proud owner of VA3 :-D

Each second GPS workout, whe gets sth like this:

Usually, the minimum elevation is -500m.

Really annoying.

• Another classic from my training run this morning. Our group does 10 climbs of the same hill. I touched the same leaf on the same tree at the bottom every time, and stepped onto the same square of concrete path at the top every time.