This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Who still getting battery drain issues with 6.30?

I'm still getting a drain between 1% to 1.5% per hour using basic functionality:

• Wrist Heart Rate monitor is running
  • Notifications are on
  • Analogue watch face (no seconds)

Contacting support seems pointless to me as they're still insisting it's a hardware issue and never answer my questions about a possible software issue (and I've been quite blunt with how I've phrased that to them).

• TLDR:
    * Each feature contributes to battery drain (see report at end)
    * Battery drain is irrevocably linked to your usage patterns.
    * A bad GPS signal expedites battery drain
    * HR uses less battery when Activity Monitor is enabled.

In the first week, I had to charge the VA3 twice. I got about 4 days of watch mode, then recharged and got only 6 hours of GPS tracking. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

I quickly determined that my short battery life was due to the way I used the watch. I was constantly interfacing with the watch, adding and removing several IQ watch faces and apps which seemed to expedite the battery drain.

I considered returning the watch, but decided that I should first see if there was a way to lengthen its battery life.

I'm really glad I stopped to do this study. I've learned a lot more about the watch - its capabilities and its limitations-which will help me maximize its use in the future.

My original assumption was that each feature (activity monitoring, GPS, heart rate monitoring, and Bluetooth) would contribute its own fixed percentage to the battery drain. I wore the watch as normal for a few days, logging the battery drain each day. Most of these tests used GPS, but I could never get any consistency from day to day. Even with the same settings, battery life varied by 30 minutes to an hour, and it never approached the 13 hours I was expecting.

It wasn't until I ran a few days of GPS tests that I realized a key piece of information: the GPS battery drain (in smart mode) is closely related to speed/distance the GPS reports. My day-to-day routine changed a lot. Some days, I sit in my office all morning. Some days I'm out walking around the office or shop floor. Most of the time, however, I was in poor GPS reception - and even when sitting still, I would 'accumulate' about a mile every half-hour. (That was rubbish, by the way - I had walked less than a mile all day!)

After realizing this, I knew I needed to setup a controlled test. The test needed to do the following:
    1) Maintain good GPS reception, so as to reduce unwanted 'activity'.
    2) Simulate a heartbeat, so the HR sensor continues to read.
    3) Apply consistent motion, so the device doesn't assume it's sitting unused and 'sleep'.

Luckily, I'm an engineer, and I quickly devised a test jig with LEGO sensors and servo motors to do all of the above. I set the jig in the window and, day after day, ran tests while it rocked back and forth, and blinked a fake heartbeat.

Now that I had a consistent setup, I started to get consistent results. I knew I needed to test each feature for drain contributions:
    * Watch mode
    * Activity Monitoring
    * Heart Rate Monitoring
    * GPS
    * Bluetooth

Using some matrix math (aka linear algebra), I knew I could make quick work of this with a limited number of tests. Luckily, I quickly found that most features contributed a fixed amount to the battery life. There was an interesting twist with Heart Rate, however. I found that Heart Rate uses ~0.5% by itself, but when you pair it with Activity Monitoring (~0.1%), you actually use less battery! That threw a wrench in the calculations at first, but I was able to add a couple more tests to verify and quantify this.

The good news is that you CAN in fact get 7 days or 13 hours in GPS or watch modes, respectively.

My tests and calculations resulted in the following numbers:

1. Watch Mode: 0.34%/hr
    2. GPS: 7.14%/hr
    3. Heart Rate: 0.52%/hr (0.24%/hr if Activity Monitor is enabled)
    4. Activity Monitor: 0.10%/hr
    5. Bluetooth: 0.04%/hr

I was unable to test the following features and their battery toll, since I don't have a method to consistently trigger their usage over a long period of time. The following will vary with device usage per user:

6) IQ faces
    7) Backlight brightness and duration
    8) Side swipe
    9) Vibrations

What does this mean?
    With all non-GPS features enabled, you should get a drain of 0.5%/hr or 200 hours / 8.3 days.
    With GPS enabled, you should get 7.87%/hr or 12.7 hours. You can increase this to 13.5 hours by turning off HR and AM, or 13.7 hours by additionally disabling bluetooth.

Here are the notable changes that were made to get the reported results:
    * Returned to the factory defaults
    * uninstalled all IQ apps/widgets
    * disabled all widgets except Heart Rate, My Day, and Notifications
    * Set the watch face to stock Digital with 2 data fields - battery (%) and date
    * I disabled side-swipe. It was a nuisance to use. I don't expect it affects battery life, though.
    * backlight was set to 10% and shortest duration
    * gesture backlight was disabled
    * During GPS activities, all notifications were disabled, including default 1-mile 'laps'. (These take a huge hit on battery on long trips)
    * Activity app was reduced to 1 screen showing Time-of-Day, Timer, and Distance.
    * The watch wasn't worn for any GPS testing. It was on the 'watch bot' where it got good GPS and had consistent movements.
    * When not in GPS mode, the watch was worn 24/7 (except ~20 minutes per day in the shower)
    * Garmin Pay was set up, and used a few times (but never in GPS mode)

And a couple additional findings:
    * Water sports can cut the battery life in half, since water 'touches' the screen often.
    * If you take the watch off, the HR monitor will stop, saving battery.

Of course, your mileage will vary. Most notably, GPS reception, and GPS speed will effect this most. Your usage patterns (how often you interface with it) will also greatly affect this. In my real-world tests, I got between 10 and 12 hrs in GPS mode and 8 days in watch mode. (All modes enabled).

So, there you have it. Go and make the most of this watch. It's really quite an impressive device!

• Great work but does not address the issue unfortunately. I’m in the same boat as everyone else. My watch updated to the latest and greatest 6.60 software and immediately my battery life went from 4-6 days to 6-12 hours. To the best of my knowledge I didn’t change any settings to my watch. After reading through numerous sites it seems like this issue has occurred for many people during this and past updates. I have been unable to get the proper support from the Garmin tech team but will continue to charge my watch twice a day until the new update is released or I run out of patience whichever comes first. 

• While that is all very relevant and helpful info it doesn't change the fact that several users are experiencing extreme and sudden battery life issues.

My use doesn't change much. Wear it as a watch all day and night, use it to monitor varous indoor activities for between 30 minutesand 2 hours most days depending on what I am doing. mainly strength, indoor bike, and treadmill. it gets the occasional outdoor walk/run with GPS as well.

My personal experience is that I have gone from approximately 5 days between charges pre 6.1 or thereabouts to what is now less than 24 hours before it is flat. It has steadily declined on every update since 6.1 to now. I have factory reset, hard reset, removed every third party app/watchface etc etc.

None of it makes any difference. Believe it or not mine will even drain while switched off, not always, but sometimes. Sounds crazy I know but true none-the-less.

I personally lost patience several weeks ago and bought a fenix 5 at knock down price and currently enjoying 12 days of life with the same use. I check in from time to time hoping that the next update fixes what is obviously a software issue for some of us but fortunately for me the urgent need for a fix has gone.

I sympathise with those patiently waiting for one.

• Currently on 6.60, still having battery issues. Over 4% battery drain in 30 mins after charging overnight. Worst Garmin I've ever had!

• How do I contact my local support team?  I have a new va3 and it doesn’t even last 24 hours with a 58 minute run.  Not happy.  My husband’s va3 lasts for days that’s why I bought it.  We compared s/w updates.  He has 6.60 and so do I but the gps is 4.40 on mine and his version is 2.50   They both day they do not need sw updates??!!

i bought this specifically because my forerunner 225 wasn’t giving me enough battery life for ultra runs.   This thing is crap compared to my 6 year old watch!!   Not a happy customer.  

• I bought mine two years ago, my GPS version is 2.50 and after last few updates, starting from June, battery lasts for only  24 hours.

Before,it  could stay up to 4-6 days.

• Hi, 

Have you got any news about this ticket? 

I've open a RMA but give up when I got to know to replace a battery it would cost at least 70% of a brand new watch in Brazil.

And now I found out in this forum that my assumptions are right, it's a software problem, probably something is activating the GPS too often.

Not trying to replace the baterry by myself anymore. 

Best regards. 

• I've logged a ticket with Garmin re the issue of the battery lasting less than 12 hours it appears that Garmin are ignoring users concentrating on selling new watches to disgruntled owners, as a result of Garmin's inaction I can safely say that this will be the last device I'll buy from Garmin, I'll switch to Wahoo on the bike and another watch manufacturer - useless!

• Hi Ken., very nice work!! But then, why the hell we bought a sport watch (VA4 in my case), if wecannot use all feature cause it will last one or two days. I could have kept my analog or normal digital watch that give me only the time but the battery last forever. I know the more features you get into the device the more consumes but based on your research the basic features consume a lot as well...Any way thanks your work. It is nice to see the real battery life pattern in theses devices

• Please keep the tread open, there is a serious problem with battery drain in VA3, and we are not getting aupport