Watch faces from connect IQ not working

Hey,

Is anybody having any issues with watch faces downloaded from connect IQ not working since the update last week? was working fine then my watch updated and any downloaded face I have just gives an error icon in the watch face selection screen.

• That works for about 15 minutes ... the 3rd party watch faces break after that. Garmin needs to investigate this and get a fix. 

• Can I ask you all if you have third-party widgets installed? I found that CIQ watch faces crash whenever non-Garmin widgets either get a GPS fix or save data. I've never been able to replicate the issue when I've only had Garmin widgets (also CIQ ones) installed. So it seems to me an issue with some widgets but not others. Apps don't cause any problems.

• Yes I have 3rd party watch faces installed and I think your diagnosis of the problem sounds likely.   The Garmin watch faces work fine, it's only the 3rd Party ones that stop working and display the dreaded CQ!    If I restart the watch, the 3rd party watch faces come back and can be used, but only for a few hours at which point they crash and I get the CQ! symbols again.  Certainly appears to be something related to the 3rd watch faces not being compatible with the latest update and your hypothesis that it is related to trying to get a GPS fix or write data makes sense as the timing of the failure seems pretty random.  I have tried to shut off GPS to see if this prevents the 3rd party watch faces from failing, but I can't seem to find that setting anyway (even though I seem to remember it being available in earlier software versions.)

It seems like the solution to this is going to be get the 3rd party watch face developers to update their code but Garmin has to make them aware of the issue and how to solve it first.  Seems like poor Q/A on the Garmin software development team's part but then again maybe they don't test against 3rd party apps/watch faces because they don't care about them.

• Not sure it's watch face developers who need to take this into account, it may be the widgets which cause the problem. At the moment I have loads of watch faces  and only one third-party widget, the SHN Battery widget. No problems whatsoever. As soon as I install other third-party CIQ widgets, watch faces crash almost immediately. OTOH, a CIQ Garmin widget (Sun/Moon) causes no problems. 

• There's something odd here, and it may be unique to a few CIQ apps.  Have you used "contact developer" in the app store to let the developer know?  is it a few specific apps?

I've never seen a report of this with any of my apps, and no one has mentioned it it the CIQ forum.

• Are there error logs on the device?

Connect your watch with usb and look in the folder /garmin/apps/logs for a file called ciq_log.yml 

• I bought my very first VA3 on Saturday and I'm using it with an iPhone 11. I downloaded a watch face from Connect IQ and can't even use it. I get see the "!" on my watch when I try to look for the watch face. Tried restarting several times already and it doesn't work at all. I am considering returning this watch and just buy a different brand.

• Me too.  Most of the watch faces do not work.  Rebooting has no effect.

• I reached out to Garmin and customer support said to update software using Garmin Express. I did that and now watch face is working!