Inaccurate Venu heart rate monitor

I purchased a Venu 2 and had it out for a run for the first time.  The heart rate data is utter nonsense.  It only recorded about 10 seconds, and the data is completely incorrect.  It showed my average rate as 60 bpm, and highest rate being 80 bpm.  Previous to the Venu, I had a Vivoactive 3, which was pretty consistent with the hear rate data - average 140 bpm, maximum around 170 bpm.  

Has any one else had this issue?  I've particular hear issues and I need my fitness watch to be accurate.  Any tips on resolution would be welcomed before I return it.  

• The heart rate monitor on my Venu 2 used to be very good whether or not I was recording an activity; that is no longer the case. I just got back from a walking activity that I recorded; I was watching the values during the walk and knew they were wrong. The activity said my average heart rate was 71 bpm and my max heart rate was 88 bpm.  When I stopped the activity, my watch immediately showed a heart rate of 144 bpm. It looks like it might be time to move to an Apple watch.