This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Incident detection stops activity recording

I've had a few incident detection events since I got my Venu - most were legit (i.e. I had indeed fallen, although not seriously), and obviously the sensor location on the left wrist makes it a lot more sensitive to a fall where you land on that hand. So out of, say, 3 events, two were indeed falls, and one was spurious, triggered by jumping up repeatedly to warm myself up. This said - in all cases, I tried to cancel the alter message from going out, was successful most of the time, but in all cases the activity recording was interrupted by the alert, even if it was canceled. I can understand the logic to stop the recording if you don't cancel the alert - among other reasons, this preserves battery life as the GPS receiver gets turned off. But I don't understand the logic if the alert is canceled. I'm now used to this weird behavior, I know I have to start a new recording, and I use SportTracks to merge the two recordings together afterwards; but wouldn't it be a tad simpler for the device to continue the recording if the alert is canceled?

• Hey there! I am going to look into this regarding the device activity to continue and see if we can get this feedback escalated. 

• I'm almost positive this has been the case on all devices since incident detection was first introduced.

• I've had a few incident detection events since I got my Venu - most were legit (i.e. I had indeed fallen, although not seriously), and obviously the sensor location on the left wrist makes it a lot more sensitive to a fall where you land on that hand. So out of, say, 3 events, two were indeed falls, and one was spurious, triggered by jumping up repeatedly to warm myself up. This said - in all cases, I tried to cancel the alter message from going out, was successful most of the time, but in all cases the activity recording was interrupted by the alert, even if it was canceled. I can understand the logic to stop the recording if you don't cancel the alert - among other reasons, this preserves battery life as the GPS receiver gets turned off. But I don't understand the logic if the alert is canceled. I'm now used to this weird behavior, I know I have to start a new recording, and I use SportTracks to merge the two recordings together afterwards; but wouldn't it be a tad simpler for the device to continue the recording if the alert is canceled?

I am creating a case for you, do you mind if I reach out and grab more information from you by email?

• I wouldn't know, the only other Garmin device I have with incident detection is my Edge 520 - that one triggered once, when I dropped it on the floor after a ride. The recording was already stopped , so I couldn't say.

• Happened to me too, while walking. When I confirmed that the incident wasn't real, the activity stopped. For walk, I don't care but I would be p!ssed if it happened while on my last km of a century ride.

• It happened to me too. When I confirmed that the incident wasn't real, the activity stopped. Then I have to start a new activity.

• For me this was a reason to turn off the incident detection. It just kept happening, and the cut-off training was just too annoying. 

• Which sucks because it was one of the reason why I upgraded my VA3 to the Venue in the first place Rage

• Hello! I have sent emails to everyone to gather more information to get a case escalated regarding this issue! I appreciate your patience while I work on this.