Would you buy a Garmin Vector 3 again?? Anyone happy please step forward!

This is a genuine question.

I'm in the market for a pedal power meter solution and i'm invested in the garmin ecosystem. I am happy with the quality of all the items I have from garmin so the Vector 3 should be the obvious choice.

However, the issues highlighted on this board and elsewhere on the internet are worrying me - are the issues as widespread as they seem? I've always taken what I read on support forums with a pinch of salt as they do tend to (by design) highlight the bad.

So this is a chance for people happy with the product to step forward and provide a bit of balance.

I'm currently using a stages crank and to be honest, even though that system is now synonymous with battery-door water ingress issues, I'm happy with its reliability since the doors were upgraded. All the noise on the web would indicate that the issue is actually worse with the Vector 3 than the stages? Is that true?
  • Yes. We've invested heavily with Garmin over the years' - V1, V2 and now V3 - after all the problems they now work fine. The only thing I would say is that they're over optimistic with battery life.
  • Previously, I had two V2 systems. 20 kkm on both of them. Sold one pair to buy a V3 because of the new podless design. Up to now, no issues. Stable and consistent. 1st battery replacement after 60 hours. Was easy to replace, new batteries work flawlessly.
  • Hello,

I was not so happy with mine. Readings were perfect, but even after the cap replacement, I have never succeeded to get more than 12 hours out of the batteries, so I have just got fade up and change to Favero Assioma. Happy now.

regards,

A. Duarte
  • I'm happy since I put a piece of cork in despite of the new battery doors!! the strip of copper seems to be too small and too soft, spring effect and contact force seem not sufficient

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbK1pkCyW_s

• I did the same as above and never had a problem with the pedals/batteries since, even before the new doors came. i run the big one piece batteries and must have at least 100 hours on them now. i would buy again no probs.
  • Very happy with mine so far. I am using them on multiple bikes in all weathers and they've been absolutely rock solid.

I initially purchased a single sided 3S at the start of June, which had the old battery cover, but soon added an upgrade pedal to go double-sided. The upgrade pedal came with the new door so I called UK Garmin support to ask for an updated door for my original pedal, which I received within a week. I didn't actually have any problems with the old style door, but I changed over when I needed to swap batteries. I've always had great service from Garmin support whenever I've called them.

My only slight disappointment with the pedals was that I received a low battery warning with the original Varta LR44s after only 36 hours, but I delayed swapping over until I started getting dropouts, which was after 65 hours.

Since then I've used cheap CR1/3Ns, which gave me 100 hours use, and I am now on Duracell SR44s that are currently at 98 hours and still outputting over 2.9 volts.

To those concerned about battery life: use (silver oxide) SR44s instead of (alkaline) LR44s and only swap out batteries once you get the low battery warning at the very start of a ride. I'd also recommend (lithium) CR1/3Ns with the caveat that you need to be careful not to insert them the wrong way round at the risk of damaging the circuitry and voiding your warranty.
  • Nope - absolutely not!

I doubt the design - I've said that many times - and also the durability. So I sold my V3 dual once replaced with a new pair. I bought the Assioma Duo's. Now 12.000 km down the road I have not a single issue. That is swapping bikes, cold, warm, mountains, valleys - ALWAYS reliable, ALWAYS consistent.

Maybe Vector 4 can do that. I will never believe V3 can do that. So many issues, it's a madness.
  • This is my first entry into the world of power meters. I found installation a breeze, and I swap them between bikes often without an issue.
    Great for training, and post ride analysis with more stats and data than you can poke a stick at.
    Battery wise, the first set lasted just over 70 hours, but I suspect they may have been sitting on a shelf for a while. My second set is around 20 hours in and the voltage is still well above what the originals that came with the pedals were. Given that, I would expect at least 100hours. And for me who only does 20-30 hours a month, that's not something I will complain about.
    Would I buy again? As this is my first set of power meters, I can't compare, but no problems, great data, I would say yes.
  • Mine have been working from day one (31/12/2017) almost perfectly, so yes, I would buy again. The only issue I am having is, that the power reading is probably 10W lower (at 280W) than what my trainer claims. I consider the V3 to be the accurate device here, so it's totally fine, just a sudden drop in FTP - even if it is only on paper - stinks. ;)
  • No, and I actually thrown them in the garbage, as they are total. Reselling them and pushing the sh*t to some other victim is not my thing.

The battery door problem, firmware update problems, ANT+ connectivity issues with a Forerunner 935, Bluetooth implementation.

I bought two sets of Assiomas instead, a far FAR superior product. Absolutely zero problem with them from day one.