Would you buy a Garmin Vector 3 again?? Anyone happy please step forward!

This is a genuine question.

I'm in the market for a pedal power meter solution and i'm invested in the garmin ecosystem. I am happy with the quality of all the items I have from garmin so the Vector 3 should be the obvious choice.

However, the issues highlighted on this board and elsewhere on the internet are worrying me - are the issues as widespread as they seem? I've always taken what I read on support forums with a pinch of salt as they do tend to (by design) highlight the bad.

So this is a chance for people happy with the product to step forward and provide a bit of balance.

I'm currently using a stages crank and to be honest, even though that system is now synonymous with battery-door water ingress issues, I'm happy with its reliability since the doors were upgraded. All the noise on the web would indicate that the issue is actually worse with the Vector 3 than the stages? Is that true?
  • Overall Im happy with mine, granted I've had some issues but they have been resolved via software updates or hardware. Garmin support are really helpful, so...

I couldn't resist the 30% off voucher against accessories in which I just bought the upgrade pedal (the right pedal is classed as an accessory).
  • This is how it should have been... Zero and I mean absolutely ZERO issues with my Assioma Duo's for about 13k km...!

Og course I can't be scientific, but the petals have always showed the expected no matter bike, temperature, high or low. Just always spot on...

I know this does not help anyone here. I do hope that I encourage Garmin to build a better pedal, and that fast. I'd like to buy it, but as long as Garmin can't offer anything on par or above Assioma, it's a total no-go...
  • I would not and I'm still within the return window, all was working fine until a few rides after changing the batteries (energizer sr44 from digikey). I followed all procedures with the baby oil and my batteries have the correct voltage. On today's ride nothing worked well, there were 5 massive power spikes and at least 10 cadence spikes, the normalized power and intensity factor are far beyond my capabilities (apparently I produced over 2100 watts, this is Olympic track power). As a result of this my recovery and other metrics are not to be trusted.

I spent lots of money so I can have quality consistent data, if I take out the batteries and don't see anything out of the ordinary tomorrow, and I'm not able to resolve it, I will most likely replace them with Look/SRM Exakt.
  • Just to provide a little balance....

I ended up buying the Assioma Duos and whilst I absolutely think I made the right decision I have just started having an issue with my right pedal after ~3000miles. The power reported from my right pedal drifts down over time so I start with a L/R balance or 50/50 at the start of a ride and it will be 60/40 at the end.

It's a good job I have a dual sided system otherwise I don't think I would have noticed this.

Kudos to Favero who after remotely diagnosing the fault through the smartphone app have stuck a new right pedal in the post for me (which is why I would still recommend) but thought I'd just share that the grass isn't alway greener on the other side.

P.s. rechargeable batteries are definitely the future though!
  • I have about 7500 miles on my Vector 3. I have loved them and thought myself lucky because until two weeks ago I had no issues that weren’t fixed by the first updated battery door. I’ve had to swap the batteries many times and always put the oil on as advised and until two weeks ago all was fine. I ran the latest update and might have had one ride before I got the right sensor missing error. I’ve now swapped the PCB board and the latest battery door rework and the right sensor is still missing. So I have to unpair the right sensor when I want to ride. This is a little aggravating as I paid to have two pedals system not a one pedals system. I’m having new pedals sent to me. I did have to put a deposit so they could send me the replacements first. That annoys me a little, but I know it is common thing for tech companies to do.

So would I buy them again? My husband is looking into buying power sensor for his bike. He has asked me this question and I told him he should try something else. If he likes it, then maybe I’ll switch too. But for nearly 7500 miles I loved them. I’m just disappointed today while I wait to receive my new pedals. I have 100k ride I was going on this weekend, and now I’ve only got the left sensor, so I’m a bit disappointed in them right now. I’m not mechanically inclined and don’t have all the bike tools, so I’m going to have to pay someone to do the pedal swap for me as well. That is yet another disappointment. But if the new ones work, I hope to be pedaling out the miles without fussing over my pedals. Then I will probably love them again.

I love my gear that works. I’m frustrated when it doesn’t work. Ask me two weeks ago and I would have chimed that “yes I love them without a doubt.”
  • With the latest battery contact upgrade and running CN1/3N batteries things seems to be working for me. Had no issues since. Done inside and outside rides on two different bikes. Raced Ironman South Africa and a shorter duathlon here i Sweden. Working flawlessly now :)
  • I would but them again... I was actually looking for an used set for my other bike. I saw them for as log as $600. I hesitated and missed out.
  • im now on to my 4th set (all failed on first battery change). As long as Garmin keep replacing defective one with new, i am happy enough. The reliabilty is good with initial batterys, once you change them, they become unreliable so just send back. Shame Garmin dont fix the problems. The batteries bounce around, so i dont know how they can expect any relia
    biity.
  • Unfortunately I bought 2 sets of Vector 3s...Only ever had problems with them Garmin trying to blame the 1030 head unit, which is also the 2 head unit after replacements. I've always used Garmin products, but never again. 

• I have had Vector 3 since near launch. I'm happy.

The pedals have worked well. Better than my previous Stages power meter. 

Garmin support has been excellent as well. For example proactively providing new battery doors when they made updates to the design.