This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Index Scale - Problems out of the box

Before you buy that bitchin' new Garmin Fitness​ index scale for Christmas...Here are my first impressions:

The set up on this seems very simple and straight forward out of the box. However, wi-fi and Bluetooth connection problems have turned what should be a very cool scale into a minor pain in the ass.

I've already returned one scale because the Bluetooth didn't connect. The data is supposed to sync via wi-fi but after getting a replacement scale that the data does not sync to Garmin Connect Mobile. I finally for the Wi-Fi to work on the 2nd scale and had to leave it on overnight when, at some point, it finally did an over the air software update to version 2.30.0.0. Also, I find that I have to keep resetting the Wi-Fi connection through Garmin Connect Mobile, because even though the data is showing on the Garmin Connect desktop site it does NOT show on Garmin Connect Mobile.

Another issue was with adding a "guest" user (my wife). When I had to reset the connection, her connection was completely lost in the scale even though the scale still showed up in her Garmin Connect. The scale didn't have her listed as a user so it wouldn't send her data to Garmin Connect. After trying to reset it over and over again, signing out and back in to Garmin Connect Mobile and desktop, turning phones off and on again...I still wasn't able to re-add my wife.

I'll go back home after work and try to reset everything again. If I can't, I'll call support before returning this 2nd scale. I really want it to work because I like the idea of having my body data all in the same place as my activities. But so far, this seems like a typical Garmin hardware launch where major disappointments in performance immediately present themselves.

UPDATE 12/1/15: Yesterday there was an update to Garmin Connect Mobile which appears to have helped the set up process and the refresh by pulling down on the weight screen on GCM. My scale is now operating correctly for both my wife and me. Although it is about a 1/2 pound different than our old scale. We are just going with it. I just hope it doesn't become disconnected so I have to go through all of that again. Fingers crossed.
  • Maximum number of device connections reached

Well day 4 and it is still not working. I updated the garmin connect for ios software and thought that may do it. This time i completely reset to factory and delete the device from online version of garmin connect and start from scratch to set up scale. The garmin connect says setup successful. But the wrench is still showing and the bluetooth, ant and wifi icons still showing. On the iphone garmin connect when i look at devices the screen quickly flashes a warning. I think it says: "Maximum number of device connections reached".

Again, any thoughts?
  • Me too

I was getting the same message with my Samsung phone (The garmin connect says setup successful. But the wrench is still showing and the bluetooth, ant and wifi icons still showing. On the phone garmin connect when i look at devices the screen quickly flashes a warning. I think it says: "Maximum number of device connections reached". ). I even removed some devices and I still got the same message (I had removed vivofit and FR610).
    So, I ordered the Garmin USB ANT Stick yesterday and will use my computer via Garmin Express today and update what happens.
    Another thing I noticed is if I store my scale on my counter, when I put the scale on the floor it shows a small weight (5-8 lbs) and it weighs me heavier by that weight. If I then weigh a second time the weight is correct.
  • Me too, part 2

Received my Garmin ANT Stick today from Amazon, put it into my laptop and waited for the software to install, then added my scales. Got on the scales and my results to were sent via Garmin Express to my connect.garmin.com account. Really happy with the scales except they think my BMI is too high.... Now I have a new goal to work towards!!
  • Picked one up yesterday at the local Best Buy as well and haven't had any issues with it so far. I do wish there was a way to sync weight automatically between the various apps I use (Strava , TrainerRoad, Zwift, etc). My Garmin devices don't seem to update weight information automatically either (920xt and edge 520)... My Vivosmart HR seems to get the updates.
  • I had to try repeatedly to get the scale set up with wifi. I wish I could be of more help but I don't really know what I did to finally get it to work. It wasn't accepting my router password. I think the solution had something to do with removing the ANT+ dongle.

If you ever figure that one out or have clues, please post. Only way I "fixed" it was to remove the password from the router. Not optimal.
  • Smart Scale Solution

I was experiencing problems like others had mentioned. Data not displayed, etc. The problem was only one day's worth of readings. When I weighed myself the next day, all of the data displayed for both days. The screen is not Snapshots-Weight but More-Weight on GCM. On the Web site you have to switch to Classic-Temporary view and look under the Analyze-Health menu.
  • Finally set up!!!

In the ongoing saga regarding the Index Smart Scale setup, I'm pleased to report that I have finally gotten the scale setup!!!! Woohoo! Thank you for posting your posts on similar issues and I was able to discern that I should bypass setting up using the WiFi and plugged in my ANT from an old Garmin Watch that I no longer use and presto chango, it worked. So, this morning, I put the scale on the ceramic tile of my bathroom floor, next to my Withings scale that I'm replacing. The Garmin Index Smart Scale weighed me 1.5 Pounds lighter than Withings. Then I stepped on the GISS again after the screen went black and it weighed me 3 pounds heavier! Then I waited and tried one more time and this time 2 pounds heavier than my first reading. What's up with that????

Here's an observation. Withings will show each and every incident of weighing on their app. Garmin only shows one weighing. Not sure if it calculates an average, displays the last measurement or what. Withings also time stamps the different weighing ins, so you can take a measurement when you wake up, another pre-run measurement and finally a post-run measurement. I can't find out how to do this with Garmin.

If you can time stamp the measurement, please let me know. If you can get multiple measurements in a single day, please let me know. Otherwise, I'd like to recommend these be made in future software releases.

Finally, I purchased this scale on Black Friday. It took me over a week to get the device set up. I tried various methods and even spoke with a very polite and patient technical support representative. If my Withings scale could sync directly with Garmin Connect, I would return the Garmin Index Smart Scale to Best Buy. THIS WAS A TERRIBLE CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE. IT SHOULD NOT TAKE 10 HOURS OF A USERS TIME TO SET UP A SCALE. I'm not sure the pain was worth the gain, particularly since I cannot find multiple measurements time stamped on a single day. I already own the Withings Scale, so this was an additional outlay of $150 plus tax. It appears that Withings is running some pretty good sales on their scales right now as the Withings Smart Body Analyzer Scale was under $100 at Best Buy on the same day I purchased this Garmin Index Smart Scale.

I ALSO DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I HAVE TO TURN OFF THE OTHER BLUE TOOTH DEVICES IN ORDER TO GET THE SCALE TO SYNC THROUGH BLUE TOOTH. WHY CAN'T I LEAVE MY FORERUNNER 920 XT ON WHEN I WANT TO BLUE TOOTH SYNC WITH MY SCALE? I GET THE ERROR MESSAGE "Maximum number of device connections reached".

My advice to someone considering purchasing this scale is to proceed cautiously.
  • [WiFi Network] was not found. Please try again - Error MEssage

Trying to set up new Garmin Index Scale with my smartphone, all goes well until getting to WiFi set up. Garmin Connect App finds the WiFi network, which I select, I enter password - which is accepted by Garmin Connect, after a few seconds I get the error Message "NETGEAR was not found. Please try again". Any thoughts? Thanks
  • Trying to set up new Garmin Index Scale with my smartphone, all goes well until getting to WiFi set up. Garmin Connect App finds the WiFi network, which I select, I enter password - which is accepted by Garmin Connect, after a few seconds I get the error Message "NETGEAR was not found. Please try again". Any thoughts? Thanks

After many hours and various attempts, I solved that by removing the password from the network router.

I recently read of another user who resolved this by doing a manual connection -- entering the SSID (network name) and then entering the password.

If you get it to work, please circle back and post what you did.
  • Exactly what I did -- a manual connection

http://www.midpackgear.com/2015/12/garmin-index-smart-scale-setup-and.html

After many hours and various attempts, I solved that by removing the password from the network router.

I recently read of another user who resolved this by doing a manual connection -- entering the SSID (network name) and then entering the password.

If you get it to work, please circle back and post what you did.