This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to make laps count sensibly?

Howdy folks... I'm a novice swimmer and this morning I swam laps for 800m ... yet my 935 is telling me that I swam 1100m. Reading the forums, I see that there's a bunch of suggestions listing all the "rules" about how you're supposed to swim in order to get the laps to be counted properly. I'm flat out just keeping my head above water... changing my swimming style to make it more convenient for my watch is ridiculous.

As it stands now, I honestly have no clue about whether I'm getting better because my watch is a random number generator in terms of distance. Am I better to use the Open Water Swimming activity and rely on the GPS? 

FWIW, my wife swam beside me the whole way and her Apple watch recorded the times and distance perfectly. Frustrating.

• I see that there's a bunch of suggestions listing all the "rules" about how you're supposed to swim in order to get the laps to be counted properly. I'm flat out just keeping my head above water... changing my swimming style to make it more convenient for my watch is ridiculous.

I understand your frustration. I don't know about more recent garmin models (which saw some modifications to the swimming profile), but it appears that the 935 (and other models from that era) are more focused on performance-oriented swimmers, and don't work well for recreational  and/or casual swimming. This doesn't mean that you have to be fast or efficient for it to work properly, I'm a lousy swimmer, struggling to maintain a 2:00/100m pace, and yet I never had any issues with distance measurement in a swimming pool. If you don't want or can't obey the tips and guidelines, then I'm sorry, but you have the wrong tool.

Am I better to use the Open Water Swimming activity and rely on the GPS?

No.

• Thanks for the quick reply. I can see that people have been complaining about this problem for years now so I was hoping that someone might have found a workaround.

It is a shame that Garmin doesn't see this as a problem. I love everything else about this watch, but this particularly aspect is genuinely appalling.

Anyway, thanks again for the response. Appreciate it.

• Hi,

You should use this website to correct the distance :

http://swimmingwatchtools.com/

• FWIW, just in case others happen to be reading this, I've been making a conscious effort to push off the wall strongly per the suggestions from Garmin and it has definitely made a huge difference in the accuracy.