This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cracks in HR sensor Forerunner 935

When I routinely checked my 935 this morning I discovered 5 separate cracks in/on the HR sensor on the back! I wear the watch all the time (as my Garmin account can approve) and am, just like my colleague athletes, very careful in handling and wearing my watch. As I check regularly these cracks are new to me and I'm wearing the watch since January this year. Now what to do? As a triathlete I swim twice a week, and biking and running of course.

• Well, as you can see in my first post (8 months ago) and in comparison with my postof the same watch today, the cracks have seriously progressed over this period. Untill now the watch seems to be functioning ok. But particles are missing so I'm not sure if the watch will stay ok. IMO $280 is too expensive and I wouldn't buy it.

• Why is my account continously flagged as abusive as of since today??? I only want to update on the cracks in HR sensor of my 935?

• That response from this Global giant is disappointing. I do wonder whether it's the view of contact centre staff or management? Perhaps you need to write (a letter) to the Chief Executive? I don't know how many 935s or 945s have been sold, but they are expensive items and a recurring fault like this should either be investigated or there should be less hassle in the replacement process. In addition to this web site, there are also a few related comments on Twitter and even more on DC Rainmaker. I like DC, he always seems to have a balanced view.

• Update. After a couple of weeks hearing nothing from Garmin I called them today and Colin really was a big help. He made excuses for the long long wait and arranged an RMA request at once. I know can (and will) send back my Forerunner 935 to get it replaced with a NOH (newly overhauled) 935. 

• Well, I received one of these NOH 935 from Garmin half a year ago because of sensor cracks. And the current replacement now also started to develop new cracks just as the one before.

It is just a matter of time until your watch will show that degradation, sad but unfortunately seems to be a design or quality issue.

• It is just a matter of time until your watch will show that degradation, sad but unfortunately seems to be a design or quality issue.

How much time if you believe it's either a design or quality issue?  I have a 235 (gen 1 sensor), a 935 (gen 2) and a 945 (gen 3) all purchased the first week from their release date from 3 different retailers.  My husband also has the 935 and 945.  None of them are showing any wear or cracks. It's just my opinion based on my personal experience, but I think the issue lies with the care of the watch by the user. 

• Hi Tess, there is some evidence on here, DC Rainmaker and Twitter suggesting that there is a problem with resin on the backs of some watches. I'm puzzled why Garmin would replace them if it thought the issue was user care, but it's also never admitted there is a manufacturing issue. .My replacement is OK so far. Im a cyclist, my 935 has only been in salt water a few times and always fresh water washed afterwards. I do shower with it on but then that's fresh water. I would be interested to hear your care tips? 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to ChrisG2015

hi,

short story what happened with my FR935

24/7 on the wrist

after activity rinse with low temp water en wiped dry

never used it in the shower

sold it to a mate

after a few months I was asked if those cracks at the back were normal Slight smile

only difference I was told, the watch went in the shower

happy & safe sporting

• I can rule out this is a user care issue, as I am putting almost silly amounts of care to my watch. E.g. never take it to swimming or showering, each time I remove it from my wrist I carefully clean it with a microfibre cloth soaked in distilled wather, afterwards carefully dry it. The watch never experienced any temperature shocks or mechanical stress. This is totally a quality issue of the resin manufacturing process and it is a matter of time until those cracks appear.

Unfortunately, the 935 version of the sensor has little depressions at the center of each LED or sensor square window. The cracks start from these depressions. This is a difference compared with the FR945 sensor which does not have these depressions. I guess these depressions caused some kind of mechanic tension inside the resin which leads to cracks afterwards

• My 935 is over 3 years old, I use it everyday, after reading this post I just check the sensor, its no crack, it might be different production line!

there was 2 stickers on the back of the watch, after long term usage it become white, I removed them, the HR sensor still superior compare to Fenix6, very reliable in 7/24 mode!