This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cracks in HR sensor Forerunner 935

When I routinely checked my 935 this morning I discovered 5 separate cracks in/on the HR sensor on the back! I wear the watch all the time (as my Garmin account can approve) and am, just like my colleague athletes, very careful in handling and wearing my watch. As I check regularly these cracks are new to me and I'm wearing the watch since January this year. Now what to do? As a triathlete I swim twice a week, and biking and running of course.

•  Here's a pic of mine. Store of purchase was open to possibly replace but it's hard to find stock of 935 now and the 945 is significantly more expensive.

• Same issue here. Very careful use, no sunscreen etc etc but on month 13 cracks appeared. Reading the forums this appears to be a known issue that is present on replacement watches and even got carried to the new model 945. I find this unacceptable that Garmin does not address this. How am I supposed to have confidence in my next Garmin purchase?! Or a replacement unit?

• I am on my 3rd watch! hahahaha still on warranty Slight smile

1st one cracks after 6months

2nd one with less care, cracks after 9 months.

Let's see for the 3rd one hahahahaha
    I asked Garmin Service, for how long they will replace the watches and it seems like a known issue
    Their answer was like who told you that???? no no no it's not a known issue

i didnt continue the conversation for obvious reasons.

• Update:

1. Message to Garmin a few days ago. Still waiting for response.

2. Message to retailer. They request pics. Pics provided. They ask to send the watch away for over 30 days for them to look at and then decision by Garmin if this is covered by warranty. If not, I have to pay for repair. No offer of a loan unit. I respond: this is a known issue, please take decision based on pics and confirm it will be replaced, please send replacement unit or first.

• I contacted garmin about the cracks in my 935.

Here in the Netherlands it typically takes a month before you get a response. (And most often a wrong asnswer)

Either they are very busy because lots of people have questions and complaints, or garmin doesn’t give a damn about customer care and the are under powered.

Don’t know which is worse.

• Update:

1. No response from Garmin

2. Retailer, if I do not want to be without a watch, offered for me to buy a new watch and send them the old one, at my risk of them (or Garmin) later rejecting warranty replacement. I do not like this, especially that this defect is also present on newer 935 and even 945. 

Not impressed with Garmin warranty service so far.

• Hello herpers :) I can't believe that you live in Netherlands and that Garmin doesnt respect their customers! I've in The Hague for more than 8 times and I was surprised of how everything works and the respect you get from such companies.
    Do you have a service center there? Don't call them don't email them.
    I had emailed Garmin when my first watch was cracked (the sensor) and i told them i was on guarantee. 
    their answer? Pay a huge amount to us in order to replace your watch.
    of course i wouldnt pay for a new watch (The cracked was a new one, i had it only for 6 months)
    I went to a service center here in Greece (we only have one) they kept the watch for a few days and after that i received a brand new.
    And now i am on my 3rd watch (oh god) and i will keep replacing them when I have guarantee.

I would advice you to visit a garmin service center there. (out of topic:you are lucky to have an apple store there, here we dont have one and the service is far from good)

• 1. Contacted Garmin via chat and their initial reaction was ‘it does not affect anything, so ok to Continue to use the watch with cracks’. I agreed that while the cracks are small this may be the case, but from user reports the cracks grow and eventually the resin flakes out, which Should not happen within or even out of warranty. Garmin agreed and offered to replace the watch, sending a refurb first (with a deposit). It arrived within 3 days. They assured me the refurb unit will ha e a new battery. It does look new. So, good service from Garmin in the end.

2. I did not take any of the retailer’s options.

• Hello.

I'd like to ask experienced owners whether the cracks affect HR reading or not. I can buy 2yrs old (already out of warranty) watch with the cracks slightly progressing and don't know whether spending 280$ will worth it or not.

Thank you.

• So here we are, same watch, same user, 8 months later (june 2nd 2020). Going to call Garmin Netherlands today because as you can clearly see the backside of my Forerunner 935 shows way more damage right now. I have to be clear that my watch still seems to be functioning well but as you can see, the resin has not only cracked but small particles are missing right now.