This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

The altimeter in my Forerunner 935 suddenly stopped working.

The altimeter in my Forerunner 935 suddenly stopped working. The elevation got stuck in one position and didn't change since (about one week ago). The total ascent in all activities is "zero". I restarted the watch a couple of times with no effect. I think that the issue started after the latest update to 13.30. My friend from the triathlon club has the same issue. Anyone else with this problem? I already contacted the support, and I am waiting for the response. I want to find out if there is more of us.

•  the 945 has the same issue!!

Exactly what "issue" are you saying is the same with the 945?  Are you talking about comments people make about their data being off?  I'm willing to bet 90% of those comments are because people aren't familiar with how a barometric altimeter works.  Because this thread here is about failing sensors, I'm assuming this is what you're referring too when you included the 945.  I've had the 945 since May 1st and don't recall any (let alone an "issue") with failing barometric altimeters.  I just went back 15 pages (more than a month ago) on the 945 forum and I didn't find a single thread.  As a side note, I still have and use my 935 and it's working perfectly coming up on 3 years.

• It has the same sensor - so will suffer the same issues - it's not about altimeter inaccuracy, it's about altimeter and temperature sensor total failure - it will get stuck at the same altitude and Rolling eyesmperature eventually - it's a shame - it's a fantastic watch - they should just withdraw that feature from the product Rolling eyes

• It has the same sensor - so will suffer the same issues

So, it's yet to be determined that it has the same issue.  You're speculating that it will.  As far as you know, Garmin is using the same sensor.  It's possible they changed something or even manufacturer's.  You stated earlier in this thread that you had two 935's that both failed within 4 months.  If the 10 month old 945 is the same and your assumption holds true, why haven't we seen this happening with the 945 as of yet?  Reading through this thread and seeing how many times this affected some users with the 935 and the short time period it happened suggest Garmin most likely changed something with the 945 because that isn't happening with that watch.  That's not a factual statement by no means, just speculation on my part.

• Same problem, here. Also the temperature reading is fixed at 293 celsius. I also notice that the problem started with the updating to 13.30v . Over two years using my 935 and now i have this problem. Its a generalized problem judging by the amount of cases on the FR935. Garmin should take care of it, is really disapointing. I dont think i will be ever buy or recomed buying any garmin aparell from now on

• program obsolescence? Could be! Any lawyer here?  
  • I also had the same problem one week ago. Temperature 293-celsius degree, altimeter 20000 m asl and barometer 80 millibar!!

Since it is in warranty I sent it back to have a new one but if the problem is related to the model, GARMIN should offer the way to move to the last 945 if this product has not the same problem of course.
    It would be unfair if this problem should happen when the product is out of warranty. What do you all think?

• My understanding is the 945 has the same problem.

• ah ok.. :( so this is even worse because they are not solving the problem.

• Yup, I had this problem with a 920XT after about 11 months, and with 2 935's each after about 11 months too. The 945 has the same sensor. The 735 doesn't have the sensor, it record altitude by gps rather than barometer as far as I know.