This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Indoor Rowing - best way to sync with Concept2?

I've started using the Concept2 rowing machines we have at my gym and discovered that the native Garmin "Indoor Rowing" activity isn't great.

From what I understand there are a few ways to get data:

- Garmin Indoor Rowing activity, with manually added distance
- ERGData mobile phone app syncing to Concept2 logbook which in turn syncs to Garmin Connect
- ERGIQ watch app that connects to the rower and creates an activity

What would be the best way to log the activity with the correct metrics (distance, stroke rate, etc) and for it to properly be calculated as far as Training Status and Training Load are concerned?

Thanks!

• Concept 2 Logbook can now sync to Garmin Connect automatically.

That's great. How?
  • That's great. How?

Go to your C2 Logbook, Edit Profile, then Application. You can then connect to other platforms from here.
  • Go to your C2 Logbook, Edit Profile, then Application. You can then connect to other platforms from here.

That's very helpful. I've now done that on the C2 side of things; however, my workouts aren't yet showing up on the Garmin Connect side of things. Is there more I need to do--maybe at the Garmin Connect site?
  • That's very helpful. I've now done that on the C2 side of things; however, my workouts aren't yet showing up on the Garmin Connect side of things. Is there more I need to do--maybe at the Garmin Connect site?

Past workouts don't sync, only those logged from the point in time you linked accounts.

Run this test: Connect a smartphone or tablet to your C2 PM5 (either via USB or Bluetooth) and log a workout with the ErgData app. Doesn't even need to be a long one - just row for a minute. Finish the workout, scroll right two screens in ErgData, hit the "Sync" button. Verify there's a pop-up indicating the workout was synced to your online account.

Within a minute, that should push from your online C2 log to Garmin Connect.

I don't recall if logging to a USB stick and then uploading will have the same effect.

A side-note: I've taken to using ErgData to log my rowing workouts as it captures the most data. In order to keep my "Training Status" updated, I also log an "Indoor Row" at the same time on my watch. This creates a double entry in Garmin Connect but the Garmin watch activity can be deleted, and your Training Status remains, along with the more precise distance, stroke, and wattage data directly from ErgData.
  • Run this test: Connect a smartphone or tablet to your C2 PM5 (either via USB or Bluetooth) and log a workout with the ErgData app. Doesn't even need to be a long one - just row for a minute. Finish the workout, scroll right two screens in ErgData, hit the "Sync" button. Verify there's a pop-up indicating the workout was synced to your online account.

I don't have a smartphone, but I'll test now with a USB.
  • I don't recall if logging to a USB stick and then uploading will have the same effect.

I've just tried with my USB. It does NOT seem to work. I was able to find the setting in Garmin Connect and verify that it IS synced with the C2 Utility; however, it won't take the data I've upload via USB.

P.S. ARRRRRRRRGGGGGG!
  • I've just tried with my USB. It does NOT seem to work. I was able to find the setting in Garmin Connect and verify that it IS synced with the C2 Utility; however, it won't take the data I've upload via USB.

P.S. ARRRRRRRRGGGGGG!

Older Android phones are available for next to nothing (sometimes even free) and would solve your problem - no cell connection required, just connect to WiFi, install the ErgData app and connect to the performance monitor via USB or Bluetooth.
  • Older Android phones are available for next to nothing (sometimes even free) and would solve your problem - no cell connection required, just connect to WiFi, install the ErgData app and connect to the performance monitor via USB or Bluetooth.

CJ, I appreciate you helping me out with this. Here's my biggest point of confusion: What is the purpose of the phone? If the C2 is recording all of my data, and I just want to move it to my laptop, why would I need an additional step through a phone? It just seems like more clutter.

If I were to buy a phone, do you have any idea if a phone like this would work: https://www.amazon.com/BLU-Unlocked-Dual-SIM-Camera-Battery/dp/B00O5EU7TQ/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=android+phone&qid=1555260212&s=gateway&sr=8-2

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    ChristoArbor:

As I understand it you don´t need a phone to transfer a session from the Performance monitor on Concept2. You just need a USB stick.

Make an online account on Concept2 and download their desktop utility program and transfer to your PC, which will send your session to your account and then into Garmin.

I haven´t tried this myself, only updated the firmware on the machine at my gym with a USB-stick, but this is how it is described on concept2.com. Let us know how it works out for you. Cheers.
  • ChristoArbor:

As I understand it you don´t need a phone to transfer a session from the Performance monitor on Concept2. You just need a USB stick.

Make an online account on Concept2 and download their desktop utility program and transfer to your PC, which will send your session to your account and then into Garmin.

I haven´t tried this myself, only updated the firmware on the machine at my gym with a USB-stick, but this is how it is described on concept2.com. Let us know how it works out for you. Cheers.

Hi Fred,
    I've heard so many different things from so many different people. I've used a USB stick to transfer my workouts to the C2 Utility on my Mac; however, it doesn't transfer over to Garmin Connect, even though I've linked the accounts. A few people have said I need a smartphone to do that, but--for the life of me--I don't understand what the smartphone is supposed to do.

The rower records the data; the USB stick should transfer it; my computer should store it. What's the phone for?