This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Indoor Rowing - best way to sync with Concept2?

I've started using the Concept2 rowing machines we have at my gym and discovered that the native Garmin "Indoor Rowing" activity isn't great.

From what I understand there are a few ways to get data:

- Garmin Indoor Rowing activity, with manually added distance
- ERGData mobile phone app syncing to Concept2 logbook which in turn syncs to Garmin Connect
- ERGIQ watch app that connects to the rower and creates an activity

What would be the best way to log the activity with the correct metrics (distance, stroke rate, etc) and for it to properly be calculated as far as Training Status and Training Load are concerned?

Thanks!

• For the definitive response regarding Garmin and Concept2 rower integration, see this link to the Concept2 forum: https://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=457963#p457963

TL;DR: stroke data isn't recorded to a USB stick plugged into the PM5; you must have a connection to an app on a smart-device, either via cable or Bluetooth, to allow the data to sync between the Concept2 online logbook and Garmin. Why? You'd have to ask Concept2 that question. My guess is something to do with bandwidth or processing power of the USB port on the PM5.

Your other option is to manually download the workout from your Concept2 online logbook (as a .FIT file or whatever) and upload it manually via Garmin Connect Web.

For all that hassle, just buy an ancient Samsung Galaxy S4 or S5 for $10-20 and call it solved.

EDIT: List of common compatible Android devices: https://www.concept2.com/service/sof...d-requirements
    Not listed is the S3 mini but if it'll run ErgData, their fair-market-value is $14: http://www.movaluate.com/samsung/gal...-blue-unlocked
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    Ok ^^. Disregard my speculations and listen to CJOttawa who knows how it works. Sorry for the confusion (I know that updating firmware via Concept2 utility and a USB-stick works though).
  • For the definitive response regarding Garmin and Concept2 rower integration, see this link to the Concept2 forum: https://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=457963#p457963For all that hassle, just buy an ancient Samsung Galaxy S4 or S5 for $10-20 and call it solved.

The S4's I'm seeing are anywhere from $40 - $80, not necessarily cost prohibitive, but it's frustrating considering that I don't even know what it's doing that my computer can't.

Here's the word from C2's tech support: "Recording stroke data requires a very large amount of memory and the PM5 was not designed to hold that massive amount of memory. The ErgData is able to do this because the app is running real time while the workout is being rowed and can store the data on the phone. Since the Utility is simply taking the memory of workouts from the rower's monitor, there is no stroke data to copy over. "

I asked why the USB couldn't hold the data and was told that they don't know.
  • I asked why the USB couldn't hold the data and was told that they don't know.

Well, the USB storage came from the old "Log card" which is a 32K smart card (like a credit card), so even if modern USB flash drives have gigabytes of storage it behaves like a log card and only stores summary information. Real time data can only be transferred and saved using an external device like a smart phone or computer as CJ explained above.
  • Real time data can only be transferred and saved using an external device like a smart phone or computer as CJ explained above.

myfric, I don't think CJ mentioned a computer. Do you know how to transfer the data straight from the C2 to my computer? I've got a great MacBook Air.
  • I think RowPro can do it. Not sure how good it is though.

$100?!?! All I'm trying to do is transfer data from one device to another.
  • Well yeah, it's free if you already have a smart phone. Besides ErgData which just records, there are also third party apps like LiveRowing that let you program workouts on the phone then transfer to the PM.
  • Well yeah, it's free if you already have a smart phone.

I think we may be missing each other here.

I asked if there's a way to transfer info straight from my C2 to my computer (i.e. without a smartphone).
    You offered RowPro as an option.
    I brought up that it costs $100.
    You said it's free if I have a smart phone.
    Now, I'm just confused.

Is there really no way to transfer data without a smartphone or spending $100? This all just seems so silly.
  • Are you using a hr belt with that setup? And does it have to be an ANT+ belt? I ask because I have tried to use my Fenix 5 plus to record hr and it is completely useless, and I cannot get my old Polar Bluetooth hr belt to connect to both the watch and PM5 at the same time. The ANT+ belt can connect to both - am I right?

• Hi there, 

What I do is sync Strava to my Concept2 logbook (ErgData), while paired with a Bluetooth HRM, and then move the data over after the row session. Strava and Concept2 are naturally integrated, and capture all of the data I want. It's not ideal, but it works for me!