This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Replace or remove a Connect IQ field on any data screen to add another...

Hello
why cannot I add more than 2 iq connect fields. some watches have 3 anyeay whatever the number why only 2 iq connect fields? what is the problem if you add more since you can have unlimited number of screens

thanks
  • The 935 is limited to having two IQ fields within and activity, no matter how many data screens you employ.
  • It's a limitation imposed by Garmin because they don't want to distract from the 'user experience' 935 users 'enjoy'. Whether or not that is what 935 users want has never been asked.
  • The 735 allows 3, but all other watches, 2. On the 735 it's because they don't allow access to the widget loop in an activity. It's all about the memory available.
  • why cannot I add more than 2 iq connect fields.

You cannot because someone decided that you as a user of an FR935 cannot – and they have the power to make the rules where you have none.

What you want is irrelevant to that reality. What you think ought to be possible or even easy to accommodate is also irrelevant. The business and/or technical reasons for deciding on a limit of 2 are probably of no interest to you, when you know you cannot argue your way into getting what you want, and nobody likes to be told “no” intractably, no matter how it is phrased. That's the not-beating-around-the-bush version of the answer.
  • Yes, it is because of memory limitations. I noticed that if you use a Connect IQ watchface and return to the widget loop during an activity, you may actually see the default watchface instead, depending on how many Connect IQ data fields you've installed in the activity. So the watch actually unloads your custom watchface to save memory, but only when it has to. To me this is evidence that there's real memory limits, and it's not only an arbitrary marketing thing. (On the other hand, I think the 645M and Fenix 5X have the same data field limits despite having a lot more memory, so in that case I would say it's marketing, to keep them in line with the other watches.)

And older watches (like 230 and 630), which have even less memory, would not let you return the widget loop and they had the same 2 CIQ data field limit.

It's too bad, because I've def had situations where I wish I could've had 3 CIQ data fields....
  • With the 645m and the CIQ3.0.0 beta, it can still only have 2 CIQ DFs, but they can be about twice as big memory wise as the 645. On the f5x (in the 3.0.0b1 simulator), each DF can be about 4x larger than on the f5. In both cases it looks that they opted for increased size vs an increased in the number, but again, looks to be related to the available memory.

The 645 and f5 have a max of about 32K for each DF just for comparison. CIQ1 devices like the 23x/630, it's 16k.
  • Yes, but do you really "need" 4x as much available RAM for data fields as another watch in the same generation that's also "top of the line"? How many devs will max out that RAM when they can only target two watches (disregarding Edge cycling computers for the purposes of this discussion)?

For example, for the 645M/F5X they could've chosen to "only" double the available memory for CIQ data fields and let you have 4 in total, but I'm guessing it's a marketing decision to keep the 2 data field limit for watches across the board. i.e. "Everyone else is happy with 2 data fields, no reason to increase the limit on the 645M/F5X. Avoids confusion (e.g. people won't ask uncomfortable questions as they did with 735XT which is the only watch which supports more than 2.)" That's just my guess, I could be totally wrong about that.

OTOH, the other consideration is CPU usage. I've noticed that flipping between data pages is slower when I have a couple of CIQ data fields installed. This was very noticeable on the 630, and still noticeable on the 935. So I'll concede that sluggishness is probably also a consideration, especially if having more than two CIQ data fields would could possibly interfere with native functions like collecting and recording data.

Anyway, I hope the next generation of watches has enough RAM/CPU power that Garmin can finally up the limit to 3 or even 4 data fields.
  • enough RAM/CPU power that Garmin can finally up the limit to 3 or even 4 data fields.

...and stop the blue triangle of death happening.
  • just came to say we are 4 years on and tis is still present in the fenix 6x pro. What the actual hell?