This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Just did a guided test - Lactate Threshold

Thought I would post my guided test I did.
Never noticed it existed until I went into the options of the Run app > Training > Lactate Threshold Guided Test.

You need a HRM Strap for this to work.

I started the test, says to warm up for 5-10 mins, I think I went more than I should have going around just under 5min / per km.
At the 10 min mark it was continuing, but I remember reading you have to press the lap button to finish warming up.

Pressed the lap button then gave me a Heart Rate range to keep in for 4 mins.
The screen shows a count down and your heart rate, and I think your average speed.
It will also aleart you if you are under / over or in the ideal range

Then after 4 mins, it then sets a new heart rate range that is higher then before, for another four miniutes.

After this, is the lkast range but for 3 mins, this I remeber for me it wanted me to do over 169 bpm, which I could not do, 166bom was my max.

After this it gives you a new Lactate Threshold rating, and the option to keep on running, which I did.

Previously I had as my Lactate Threshold:
5:14 - 162 bpm

After the test it changed it to
4:51 - 162 bpm

My understanding is this is the recommended pace for a 10km - half marathon and 90% of my max heart rate before my body starts producing lactic acid....
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1890969843

• I wouldn't say it's a recommended pace as a suggestion of a pace that you might be able to achieve. Do you think you can run a half marathon at 4:51/km?
    As a note, your body always produces lactate during exercise. The threshold represents that point where your body produces more than you can metabolise and it accumulates in your muscle before moving into your blood - in very simplistic terms. The lactate threshold represents that point where the increase becomes exponential (around 4.0 mM).
  • There's info on Garmin's site about it...you're kinda right about that 10k thing but potentially overlooking a big caveat in that it depends on your level...

For experienced runners, the threshold occurs at approximately 90% of their maximum heart rate and between 10k and half-marathon race pace. For average runners, the lactate threshold often occurs well below 90% of maximum heart rate. Knowing your lactate threshold can help you determine how hard to train or when to push yourself during a race.

My Watch has worked out a LT for me in a couple of runs as a matter of course but I didn't know about the test. I'll give it a go in the next few days. The figure that it has calculated for me so far is definitely faster than my 10k pace. That said it calculated it on a day when I was chasing my 5k PB on a hilly course so that might have skewed the result. I run quite a lot these days but I doubt I fit what Garmin considers to be an experienced runner; I have a pretty inefficient style that I'm trying to work on.
  • I got a LT pace calculated in my 10K race yesterday. I was running the race as part of 10miles with 5@LT pace, so it was spot on! The LT calculated was 4;07/Km 158bpm. This is right between 10K pace (3:56/km) and HM pace (4:13/km). The watch did good I reckon.
  • My experience has been a bit mixed. Last night I did a 2 mile time trial and it gave me an automated LT update of HR 142 and 6:49 pace. Previously it had been slightly slower. Hard to see where the 6:49 has come from as I was at 142 about a minute into the effort when my pace was more like 6:00 pace. I averaged 6:12 for the 2 miles and at no time yesterday did I run at or even close to 6:49 pace as my WU & WD were more like 8:00 pace. Probably need to do a guided test.

• Part 2 as error posting together!

I am however rather running unfit at the moment. 6:12 pace 6 months ago I could comfortably hold for a HM whereas clearly at the moment I can't. Logically I would expect my LT pace to be at least 6:30 though especially as I averaged 6:15 pace for a flat but mixed terrain 7K last week.

VO2 Max (or at least the race predictors) seems a bit optimistic though. I am at 59 which equates to 17:22 but clearly I am not fit enough to do that if can't even manage 2 miles at that pace! Could be tied to the usual story of what is a realistic max HR. I have got mine set to 162 and yet last night I "only" maxed out at 153 so there is a bit of an invisible buffer there I am not able to access. I did see 162 for real several months ago however so not as if this is the 220-Age default which would be even further unobtainable for me at 170.
  • I wouldn't say it's a recommended pace as a suggestion of a pace that you might be able to achieve. Do you think you can run a half marathon at 4:51/km?
    As a note, your body always produces lactate during exercise. The threshold represents that point where your body produces more than you can metabolise and it accumulates in your muscle before moving into your blood - in very simplistic terms. The lactate threshold represents that point where the increase becomes exponential (around 4.0 mM).

Yes I do.
    On average I run 10km around 45 mins. (when racing 42 / 43 mins)
    I haven't done a half marathon for quite some time, but did a 18km and a 20km earlier this year, my pacing doesn't really drop off, staying below the 5min per km (and this was after recovering from cancer treatment)
    This year I'm focused on improving from when I was ill, but doing mostly trail runs.
  • I got a LT pace calculated in my 10K race yesterday. I was running the race as part of 10miles with 5@LT pace, so it was spot on! The LT calculated was 4;07/Km 158bpm. This is right between 10K pace (3:56/km) and HM pace (4:13/km). The watch did good I reckon.

Thats a good speed / pace...
  • Thanks, but nothing like as quick as people like Tim. There is always someone faster!
  • Thanks, but nothing like as quick as people like Tim. There is always someone faster!

Sadly very true! I was 63rd in a race last week. There would easily be 62 faster than the winner too.
  • Interestingly I just ran 11.4km averaging around 4:55min per km, (lunch time run).
    It mentioned for Training effect:
    Maintaining Aerobic Fitness (4.4) , No Anaerobic Benefit (0.0)

I wonder how that can be?