This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Zwift direct upload to watch

I recently started using Zwift, when I finish a ride it directly uploads to Strava, Training Peaks etc. but I have no history on my watch! I can upload the FIT file from the Zwift folder to Garmin Connect, but I want it on the watch so it shows in my watches weekly totals, history, calories etc. is there anyway to do this? It's really annoying
Cheers
Cam
  • i want the same sync-functionality, also with my edge 820, but unfortunately there is no solution for this "problem" (i think)

greets
  • Two options
    Pair your power meter, speed & cadence sensors, HRM to your Garmin and record it as an indoor ride. Zwift speed is however "made up" so won't be exactly the same.

Download the FIT file from Zwift, put it in NEWFILES when connected to a computer. It will appear in your watch history but it won't update history totals but then again these days a single device is never the best place to track such things.
  • Thanks for the replies.

It just seems so stupid that it can't be done! If it can be uploaded to Connect I can't see why it cant synced to your watch.
  • Because the devices are collectors of recorded activity on the device not receivers of recorded activity from 3rd parties.

As Tim suggests, collect the data on your device and send that to Garmin Connect. That is what the devices were designed to do. That is the functionality you purchased.
  • Also if you do that then your training load, calories and history will be updated as you desire.

It does confuse me sometimes when Zwift is referred to as a game but essentially it is in that translates your power, weight, height, gender and age and gradient of the part of Zwift you are on plus any drafting effect from nearby riders into an imagined speed.
  • Because the devices are collectors of recorded activity on the device not receivers of recorded activity from 3rd parties.

As Tim suggests, collect the data on your device and send that to Garmin Connect. That is what the devices were designed to do. That is the functionality you purchased.

Sorry I'm a newbie, but what do you mean when you say ' Collect the data on your device and send back to Connect? " I have a Tacx Vortex smart trainer that calculates my Speed, cadence distance etc. So when I finish a ride on Zwift, I have to go into the Zwift folder and upload the FIT file to connect. Don't get me wrong I love the watch, just thought it might be a little easier to get the info onto the watch directly without needing to mess around. Cheers
  • Read post #3. Two options have been proffered.

There is 'no messing around' if you use the watch to collect the metrics as intended by Garmin.
  • … what do you mean when you say ' Collect the data on your device and send back to Connect? "

That is not what Philip said.

Your Garmin wearable device creates activity records, utilising internal and/or external sensors that collect data for metrics that are relevant for the activity, and then makes those records available to the Garmin Connect platform upon syncing (and, in most cases, also retains a copy on the watch's own filesystem from which the file can be retrieved via USB).

It just seems so stupid that it can't be done! If it can be uploaded to Connect I can't see why it cant synced to your watch.

Your Garmin device is not designed or intended to be a receiver of activity records created by any other device (even other Garmin-branded devices such as bicycle computers in the Edge product range), even if you upload those ‘foreign’ activity records to Garmin Connect. Nor is it designed to be a client of the Garmin Connect service for reviewing your Garmin Connect account; upon syncing, your wearable device will retrieve data/parameters from your user profile that are required for it to properly perform calculations for future activity records that it creates, but that's it.

It's more “stupid” to form expectations as a user of a particular product or piece of technology only on the basis of what you want or what would be convenient for you, without understanding either the design intention or the platform architecture.

… I want it on the watch so it shows in my watches weekly totals, history, calories etc. is there anyway to do this? It's really annoying

You can want whatever you want, and it's your prerogative to find something (or some omission) annoying, but that does not mean anyone is obliged to try to accommodate your preferences.
  • Read post #3. Two options have been proffered.

There is 'no messing around' if you use the watch to collect the metrics as intended by Garmin.

Thanks.
  • Also if you do that then your training load, calories and history will be updated as you desire.

It does confuse me sometimes when Zwift is referred to as a game but essentially it is in that translates your power, weight, height, gender and age and gradient of the part of Zwift you are on plus any drafting effect from nearby riders into an imagined speed.

Appreciate the reply Tim.